UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (18) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Davem105 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 10390  
Subject: Quicken backup Date: 5/23/2004 9:35 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Wonder if someone could tell me how to back my Quicken files to a CD? I don't think my floppy's long for this world.

Thanks.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: geocarw Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4909 of 10390
Subject: Re: Quicken backup Date: 5/23/2004 9:47 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Wonder if someone could tell me how to back my Quicken files to a CD?

Backup to a Folder on your hard drive. Copy the Folder to a CD.

George

Author: JeanDavid Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4910 of 10390
Subject: Re: Quicken backup Date: 5/24/2004 5:39 AM
Wonder if someone could tell me how to back my Quicken files to a CD? I don't think my floppy's long for this world.

Since I backup ALL files to tape everyday, I do not suppose I need the floppy backups I make frequently. But I make them because my lawyer, who is executor of my estate, knows how to read them into Quicken and he might like access to that stuff in the event he gets to perform his duty as executor of my estate.

Floppy drives do not cost much these days.

Author: BillyBarueFool Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4911 of 10390
Subject: Re: Quicken backup Date: 5/24/2004 12:33 PM
I backup now to one of those (insert size)MB USB drives.

Mine is 64MB, and is smaller than 2 cigarettes taped together. Pop it in a USB port, backup to that drive.

BillyBF

Author: warrl Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4912 of 10390
Subject: Re: Quicken backup Date: 5/24/2004 1:50 PM
Depends on what sort of CD-writing software you have.

I have software that lets me treat a CD-RW as an ordinary hard drive. So I do an ordinary backup to that drive. No problem.

Author: KennyO Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4913 of 10390
Subject: Re: Quicken backup Date: 5/24/2004 2:14 PM
Recommendations: 1
I backup now to one of those (insert size)MB USB drives

I use 'em and love 'em, but only for short term sneakernet functions. I've found that those things are fragile (i.e. if ever you insert/remove it awkwardly or bump it while it's inserted you'll learn this ... it's guaranteed to elicit a long, piercing wail). Your data will reside in the device's memory but the broken solder joint between the connector and the circuit board will keep it there, out of reach. My hierarchy is: tape (off site) is the best backup, a remotely located server with RAID and its own backup regimen is next, CD/DVD is next, followed by Jaz/Zip et al. drives. Floppies are OK, medium term (say, less than a year) only if there are two copies. I'm trying out those Buslink USB hard drives and the early results are promising and reasonably priced (I got 30 or 40 GB for about $100 awhile back). I'm saying that I'm concerned with reliability.

KennyO

Author: Davem105 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4914 of 10390
Subject: Re: Quicken backup Date: 5/24/2004 6:35 PM
Depends on what sort of CD-writing software you have.

I use Nero. My CD is the D drive, but somehow Quicken doesn't recognize this. But I did back up to the data portion of my hard drive, so I'll just put that folder onto a CD.

This box is coming up on four years old, so I really need to take backing up seriously.

Thanks all.

Author: Kurtv Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4915 of 10390
Subject: Re: Quicken backup Date: 5/24/2004 8:05 PM
I use Nero. My CD is the D drive, but somehow Quicken doesn't recognize this.

Quicken will always default to the most recently used backup location. After clicking Backup from the file menu you should be able to browse to a new backup directory from the dialog box that appears. However a properly formatted CD-RW would have to be used for any program to recognize it as a writable disk. If you don't have DirectCD or a Nero equivalent (?) you are best to copy the folder as previously mentioned.

Kurt

Author: Donna405 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4916 of 10390
Subject: Re: Quicken backup Date: 5/24/2004 11:22 PM
I had no problem backing up directly to the CD-RW.

Donna

Author: MrPenny Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4917 of 10390
Subject: Re: Quicken backup Date: 5/25/2004 1:26 PM
When I updated to windows xp, it seemed a lot of my software started treating my cd drive as another hard drive. I save to the D: sometimes with the cd out. As soon as its done, a little bubble on my taskbar pops up and says "files are ready to be written to CD" and I go through the wizard. It's pretty handy.

Question: Do you alternate between cd-rw's or write a new cd each time? I was alternating when I used floppies. I've gotten lazy and have been just using one cd-rw. I probably need to get back into that habit...

MrPenny

Author: JeanDavid Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4918 of 10390
Subject: Re: Quicken backup Date: 5/25/2004 3:13 PM
Question: Do you alternate between cd-rw's or write a new cd each time? I was alternating when I used floppies. I've gotten lazy and have been just using one cd-rw. I probably need to get back into that habit...

Having been in the computer biz since about 1956, I know just how important backups are to me. So I have never purchased or built a machine without a suitable backup device: in my case, this has always been a magnetic tape drive.

And far from alternating as I infer you contemplate, I have a whole batch of backup tapes, one for each day of the week except Sunday. I have one Sunday tape for each Sunday in a month (hence, 5 tapes, with tape 5 less used than the other four), and 12 monthly tapes, one for January, ..., December. Most of the monthly tapes are in the bank, the other tapes are in another room from where the computers are.

One reason for so many tapes is that if I corrupt or delete a file, and do not realize it right away, the most recent backup will have a bad version or no version of the file(s) in question. I may need to go back a bit to find the most recent good one.

Author: paul804 One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4920 of 10390
Subject: Re: Quicken backup Date: 5/26/2004 12:44 AM
I installed a second hard drive in my computer and back up to that. Its quick and easy. I use it to back up documents and other stuff as well.

You could also use an external USB harddrive. The chances of two harddrives failing at the same time is pretty slim.

If you go with a USB thumb drive I'd recommend using two. Alternate between backups. If one USB drive fails you will only lose a little bit of data in the event that you have to restore from the other.

You'll get a lot more storage for your money with the harddrives if you compare Gigabytes for the buck. Internal will be the cheapest route.

Paul

Author: JeanDavid Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4921 of 10390
Subject: Re: Quicken backup Date: 5/26/2004 6:17 AM
I installed a second hard drive in my computer and back up to that. Its quick and easy. I use it to back up documents and other stuff as well.

If that is not a hot swap hard drive that you remove immediately after you make the backup, I do not understand why people do this. Do they think the only way data get lost is a head crash? If the operating system, on a whim, reformats both drives, your backup scheme is useless. Or if a user removes (or worse, alters) a file from the backup device instead of the primary one, there too you have a problem. Not to mention when lightning strikes too closely and the power surge fries both drives.

It is really important to do your serious backups to a removeable device, and to remove them promptly from the area.

Author: paul804 One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4922 of 10390
Subject: Re: Quicken backup Date: 5/26/2004 3:08 PM
I suppose that some of those things could happen. I'm behind a pretty beefy UPS and I'm pretty much the only user so I'm not worried about lightning or accidental deletion of my backup file. I pretty much backup my Quicken data every time I open the program anyway. I've been working this way for a while and haven't had any problems. Could Windows format both drives? Maybe. I run a hardware and software firewall, update my virus dats at bootup and keep the Windows patches up to date. For my personal computer I can live with this. On a corporate network I'd go with off site backups all the way.

Maybe a USB drive would be a better option for the OP.

Paul

Author: KennyO Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4923 of 10390
Subject: Re: Quicken backup Date: 5/26/2004 6:02 PM
I installed a second hard drive in my computer and back up to that.

If it's in the same computer, it is by no means a backup. You've never experienced burglary or a lightning strike. A burglar will not remove the second drive and leave it behind for your convenience. A lightning strike, on the other hand, will.

If it's in the same room, it is by no means a backup. You've never experienced a fire or a flood or a tree or wayward car crashing into the corner of your house. None of these events is calculated to leave your "backup" intact for your convenience.

If it's in the same building, it might be considered a backup if you can somehow ensure that it will remain intact through forseeable events like fire, tornadoes, earthquakes, floods, inquisitive toddlers and pets, et al. and that you can still find it. An intact backup that's been blown two counties away from home is unlikely to find its way into your new computer.

I consider my invested time and my ninteen years of data so valuable that backing up consists of creating a weekly backup, each carefully identified as to Quicken version and backup date, each being complete in itself and each being duplicated for storage in geographically separate locations. Consider me overboard if you like but the whole ritual consumes less than ten minutes each week including (!) labeling the media.

Your call.

KennyO

Author: Kurtv Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4924 of 10390
Subject: Re: Quicken backup Date: 5/26/2004 6:10 PM
I suppose that some of those things could happen.

Believe it.

I have also learned from this board that a backup is not a secure one unless you have a copy off-site. At first I thought this statement was over the top. Then I was reminded what would happen if we had a fire or my computer was stolen...

Kurt

Author: ReccingBall Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4925 of 10390
Subject: Re: Quicken backup Date: 5/26/2004 11:44 PM
Using QB pro 2004, I also have learned that QB doesn't recognize any of the CD burning programs I use. I finally got a USB thumb drive, and now I backup my company data file to it every couple of days. It is then removed from the building--in fact, it is with me 24/7. Every few days, I plug the thumb drive into the PC and burn the entire contents to a CD, which I then store in an offsite fireproof safe. I also use the option to verify the data after it is burned.

Author: paul804 One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4926 of 10390
Subject: Re: Quicken backup Date: 5/27/2004 10:07 PM
I think we pretty much covered back ups. Anyone have any ideas about this problem:

http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=20817447

TIA,
Paul

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (18) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement