UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: dswing Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 10393  
Subject: Quicken help needed ... Date: 6/28/2006 5:54 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0

This is an X-post from the Budgeting board... I didn't know there was a board devoted to Quicken expressly...

-----

I loaded Quicken 2006 last night. I haven't unsed the program since the late 90's, and decided to give it a try again.

I downloaded my checking account information, but since 90% of my bills are paid automatically using my bank's Internet Bill Pay feature, Quicken auto-fills all my bill categories as "Utilities:Internet".

Forehead slap.

So, how do I fix this? Do I have to edit all the categories for each payee, and add them to the "memorized" list? Or will this only work if I pay the $4 per month for the auto-update service? I was hoping to just download (free) the info from my bank once per month, without having to pay a monthly service fee.

I was dismayed to see all of my data import as basically junk ... but I also figure the program is not intended to junkify the data so badly ... I just couldn't find the workaround last night.

Any help is appreciated!

~dswing
Print the post Back To Top
Author: xSixSigmaMBB Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7424 of 10393
Subject: Re: Quicken help needed ... Date: 6/29/2006 12:13 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Well,

First off, when you downloaded the transactions, did you allow Quicken to accept all? If so, it doesn't know what to do so makes some best guesses...

You can go back and edit the transactions, fairly easy to do. Then in the future, Quicken will recognize / remember the category for your payee and auto-assign it.

Does your bank allow you to use Quicken to do the Bill Pay for you? Chase, the bank I use allows me to enter the transactions in Quicken and then transmit them to the bank...

Something to consider. This way you are entering the category & memo prior to it being sent. Then when the transaction clears, it matches against what is in Quicken.

It will save you time and double entry... I manage our finances in about 10 minutes every day...

xSSMBB

Author: warrl Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7425 of 10393
Subject: Re: Quicken help needed ... Date: 6/29/2006 12:44 AM
Recommendations: 2
This is an X-post from the Budgeting board... I didn't know there was a board devoted to Quicken expressly...

-----

I loaded Quicken 2006 last night. I haven't unsed the program since the late 90's, and decided to give it a try again.

I downloaded my checking account information, but since 90% of my bills are paid automatically using my bank's Internet Bill Pay feature, Quicken auto-fills all my bill categories as "Utilities:Internet".

Forehead slap.

So, how do I fix this? Do I have to edit all the categories for each payee, and add them to the "memorized" list? Or will this only work if I pay the $4 per month for the auto-update service? I was hoping to just download (free) the info from my bank once per month, without having to pay a monthly service fee.

Well, this file has some bad data in it now. And since it doesn't have MUCH data, it's probably no loss to throw it away.

So start a new file.

(Warning: I haven't upgraded to Q2006.)

Set up your checking account. Download the transactions but DO NOT accept them all.

Click on one of the downloaded transactions, in the list below the register. Not on one of the buttons; on, say, the payee. You'll see the same transaction, filled in with everything that Quicken thinks it knows or can guess, in the transaction register (with its own set of buttons). Fix that. When you click the Enter button *in the register*, the corresponding transaction in the download list will be marked as having been accepted.

Also feel free to click the Edit button-downarrow on a transaction in the register, and schedule it, if it's a recurring transaction.

Work through your transactions. You'll probably notice as you go that Quicken is getting a bit smarter: whatever category you put Amazon.com in the first time, that's the default the second time.

Author: dswing Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7426 of 10393
Subject: Re: Quicken help needed ... Date: 6/29/2006 1:04 PM

Set up your checking account. Download the transactions but DO NOT accept them all.

I guess this is where my mistake is ... I don't recall being prompted to accept individual transactions -- the whole .qfx file just opened and populated the quicken register in one fell swoop.

For further info:

I bank online with US Bank.

I log on and select "Quicken for Windows" data, and get a "download.qfx" file.

Then I am prompted to "open" the file or "save to disk." I selected open with application, and the stuff just opened.

I can't recall what I did when I opened the account the first time ... when does the option to "accept" transactions show up?

Sounds like I should trash everything and start over. I'll try that, and look for the option to "accept" ...

~dswing

Author: warrl Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7427 of 10393
Subject: Re: Quicken help needed ... Date: 6/30/2006 10:51 AM
I guess this is where my mistake is ... I don't recall being prompted to accept individual transactions -- the whole .qfx file just opened and populated the quicken register in one fell swoop.

I looked around (in Q2005) and didn't find a setting to turn on such behavior.

Not that I would ever want it turned on...

Does someone else know where this setting is?

Author: LaraAmber Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7428 of 10393
Subject: Re: Quicken help needed ... Date: 6/30/2006 11:35 AM
Sorry I'm no help here. I don't use the download function in my program. I prefer to manually enter the transactions. It forces me to read every line carefully and catch errors before I get my statement at the end of the month. Plus I don't end up with 8 different listings for Starbucks. (Starbucks #2451, Starbucks #216, etc)

Author: mpepper Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7442 of 10393
Subject: Re: Quicken help needed ... Date: 7/8/2006 2:26 PM
Just fill in the category for that payee and it remembers what category you used and auto fills it in for you the next time that payee comes up.

Author: jtallenmd Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Motley Fool One Everlasting Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7465 of 10393
Subject: Re: Quicken help needed ... Date: 7/20/2006 3:30 AM
Have you tried the "Find and Replace" Function?

You might need to do it several times. For example:

First pass: Find Utilities:Internet Replace with Utilities:Gas
Second pass: Find Utilities:Internet Replace with Utilities:Electric

If you just need to replace it with one category, you can choose "Replace All", otherwise you will need to use the "Find" or "Replace and Find" buttons as appropriate.

Author: warrl Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7466 of 10393
Subject: Re: Quicken help needed ... Date: 7/20/2006 3:50 AM
Recommendations: 2
Have you tried the "Find and Replace" Function?

You might need to do it several times. For example:

First pass: Find Utilities:Internet Replace with Utilities:Gas
Second pass: Find Utilities:Internet Replace with Utilities:Electric

If you just need to replace it with one category, you can choose "Replace All", otherwise you will need to use the "Find" or "Replace and Find" buttons as appropriate.

Actually, there are better ways if you want to move ALL of the transactions in category A into ONE other category B:

* If B does not exist, rename A and/or change what it's a subcategory of.

* If B exists but has no transactions, delete it and see previous - or see following.

* If B exists and has transactions:
1. Make A a subcategory of B;
2. Delete A.
3. Say "yes" to prompt about moving the transactions.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement