UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: TP2004 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 10373  
Subject: Quicken. The Best Weapon. Date: 5/31/2005 1:29 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 21
Just had an episode I'll share that reminds us how Quicken can make a great "diary" when you're disputing that phone call to a creditor or utility where you just KNOW they're wrong about a certain charge-- but won't admit it.

Usually, you're on the phone with 'ABC Corporation' and it goes like this:

YOU: "But I paid the bill on time last month and the month before. What's this extra charge for?"

THEM: (Ticking away on their computer) "Sorry. I don't see that in 'the system.' Now you owe us twice what we said you owe us."

YOU: "That's ridiculous!"

THEM: (Tick tick tick). "No it's not. The system says so." (tick tick tick)...

So today I tried to beat them at their own game. I called to end a 2-month pain with an auto company about a lease. But came armed with Quicken on my laptop...

ME: "This late charge is erroneous. I never turned the car in late. It broke down and was turned into the dealer's shop, immobile, a week before the end-lease date."

THEM: (tick tick tick) "The system says the car was late, thus the charge."

ME: "One second. Let me check my system... (tick tick tick)... Nope. I'm showing all payments updated, with the last payment made when car was brought in on (....) date."

THEM: (tick tick tick) "We're not showing that. We're showing it was late as of (...) ..."

ME: (tick tick tick) "My 'system' is showing a charge for the towing company here on (...) date, which means the car was towed in on or before (....) I also have all remaining payments made as of (....) with Check nos. 123, 456..."

THEM: (tick tick tick) "I'm sorry...I don't know if...wait a sec..." (tick tick tick)

ME: (tick tick tick) "In fact, my 'system' is showing a credit card charge to a store right next to the dealership on (....), (tick tick) which confirms the day I was there to finalize the turn-in. Would you like me to fax you this information?"

THEM: (tick) "Um, look at this! The system is showing that your account was corrected and that you did indeed turn in your car on time and confirms your payments and dates. Sorry about the mixup."

ME: (tick tick tick) "Thank you. I'll update my 'system' to show that I owe you a zero balance... (tick tick tick...) Is there anything else I can help you with today?"

THEM: "Huh?"

True story. If the CSRs on the other end of the phone can have a "system," why can't you?
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Apple

Apple and Ninety Years Ago
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement