UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: mcbdds Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 757793  
Subject: Quinoa / Kale Salad for CC Date: 7/9/2013 6:33 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
CC, you mentioned kale a few days ago. Try this.

Quinoa Salad with Kale
source: Chef Victoria East

Ingredients:
1 cup Quinoa
2 1/2 cups vegetable broth
1each bay leaf
1 bunch kale, cleaned, chopped
1/2 cup toasted pine nuts
1cup pomegranate seeds
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
5 tablespoons olive oil
TT salt & pepper
1/2 teaspoon Dijon

Combine quinoa, vegetable broth, and bay leaf in sauce pan. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook covered about 20 minutes. Remove from heat and spread cooked quinoa out onto a sheet pan to cool.
Whisk together the vinegar, mustard, oil, salt, pepper to make the dressing. Pour over the cooling quinoa and mix gently.
In a dry sauté pan, toast the pine nuts lightly. Remove and reserve. Add a splash of oil to the pan and cook the kale slightly. Remove and add pine nuts. Once the kale is cooled, combine it with the pine nuts and kale. Add pomegranate seeds and toss.

NB
I only use 2 1/2 tablespoons of olive oil not 5. Use good California olive oil, not the reprocessed stuff from Italy that FIATS used in their engine blocks.

I use 1 1/2 tablespoons of Dijon not 1/2 tablespoons. Use Maille Dijon, not the poor bastard stuff Midwesterners use on their corn dogs at the county fair. The French have been making mustard since Caesar kicked Vercingetorix's fanny in Alesia in 52 BC. As irritating as they are, they know cheese, wine, and mustard.

Just use the soft parts of the Kale, dispose of the center vines. Remember kale chokes cows on a daily basis so use the soft parts.
When you warm the chopped kale in the pan it is a quick thing. 2 minutes at medium temperature, stir with your fingers. You are just warming the kale ever so slightly. Don't make it faint and wilt like a liberal when confronted with reality.

I buy the packaged pomegranate seeds from Trader Joes. I'm too busy and too pretty to strangle a pomegranate and choke the seeds of of the dear thing.

Finally, buy the pine nuts raw from Trader Joes and toast your own. Be patient, it can take 5 minutes. When the little darlings change color and smell like popcorn you are done.

This is so good you will name your grand children after me.

mcb
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement