Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 5657  
Subject: Quinoa main course Date: 1/9/2013 10:53 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I'd like to try a quinoa-based vegetarian or vegan main course in a couple of days. Most of the quinoa recipes I find online are salads or side dishes, or main courses that sound kinda blah. It's just us two adults so no need to meet the tastes of children. Ideas? Recipes?
Print the post Back To Top
Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5478 of 5657
Subject: Re: Quinoa main course Date: 1/9/2013 11:01 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
heh--as soon as I posted, I remembered that I had posted something about quinoa myself, and found it (from November). When I did a TMF search on quinoa, it didn't some up and I had forgotten. I'd still be happy to learn about your recipes!

Author: zoningfool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5479 of 5657
Subject: Re: Quinoa main course Date: 1/10/2013 10:06 AM
Quinoa stuffed peppers? (I consider stuffed peppers a main course). I've seen a veggie burgers made with it too. Or just take your favorite main course rice dish and use quinoa instead. I have to admit--I only like quinoa as a substitute for bulgur in gluten-free tabbouleh. Tried it as a rice substitute in my corn-tomato-black bean salad and MUCH prefer rice...

Author: zoningfool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5480 of 5657
Subject: Re: Quinoa main course Date: 1/10/2013 10:14 AM
Recommendations: 1
Just remembered I saw this one (other quinoa recipes on site too--but not sure if you'd consider them main courses):

Quinoa with Butternut Squash Gratin

http://suite101.com/article/quinoa-and-butternut-squash-grat...

You could probably find a bunch of recipes on the Ancient Grains or Earthly Choice sites:

http://www.quinoa.net/181.html

http://www.earthlychoice.com/quinoa-recipes.html

Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5481 of 5657
Subject: Re: Quinoa main course Date: 1/10/2013 4:43 PM
Recommendations: 1
The quinoa-cauliflower kugel from my November NYTimes link, your first link to the quinoa-butternut squash gratin, and this from your third link:

Quinoa Dinner

1.5 cups quinoa
1.5 TBS olive oil
6 cloves garlic
2 oz pine nuts
1 can garbanzo beans
1 can artichoke hearts
1 package Mediterranean feta cheese (4.4 oz)
2 cups baby spinach
2 TBS oregano

Place quinoa and 3 cups of water in a pot, bring to a boil for 5 minutes, then remove from heat and let stand for 15 minutes, covered.
Heat oil in large skillet. Finely slice garlic and brown in oil for a couple of minutes. Once lightly browned, add pine nuts for a minute or two, and then toss in cooked quinoa. Add garbanzos, artichokes, and spinach and toss until spinach wilts. Toss in cheese and serve immediately.

Are my leading contenders. I'm leaning toward the kugel because I got cauliflower on sale and can sub something else for its original purpose. Thanks very much for replying to my query, ZF.

I'm trying to use neglected items in the pantry this month as well as increase my repertoire of vegetarian dinners...please post your successful recipes, everyone!

Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5484 of 5657
Subject: Re: Quinoa main course Date: 1/17/2013 10:02 PM
Well, I ended up focusing on cauliflower instead of quinoa, and made this:

http://boards.fool.com/sicilian-cauliflower-30491927.aspx

And an amazing vegetarian dinner it was!

Author: tori26 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5504 of 5657
Subject: Re: Quinoa main course Date: 3/1/2013 12:01 PM
Recommendations: 3
a nice blog with lots of recipes using quinoa

http://www.cookingquinoa.net/cashew-orange-mango-quinoa-sala...

Linda

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement