UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (18) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: CindyC72 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 381  
Subject: Re: How To Quit Your Job Date: 2/24/2001 7:37 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Quiting is always refreshing...Here's an article.

-Gekko II

http://underwire.msn.com/underwire/social/Inprofile/105profile.asp

Hey, all - been lurking here since post 1, figured it was time to come out of hiding on this one.

I am working with a headhunter to ditch my own job, and I am *really* looking forward to the change.

For 2 years the VP of my department kept asking "Don't you want Kim's (my old boss) job someday?" and every time my answer was the same - "I like what I do now, I don't want to be in management here."

Well, in December, Kim, the VP and I had a meeting. Guess what - reorganization. My group had been elevated to a division, I was being "elevated" to manager and I'd have my own analyst working for me. The VP did such a bad job of selling the position to me I was ready to burst into tears by the time I got back to my desk when it was over. Kim assured me that she was sure I could do the job and that the VP just didn't have any people skills. (Which he kinda doesn't.) So, I figured I would hang in there and at least give it a shot. Especially since had I declined it, they would have shown me the door then and there.

Well, I've been "officially" in the position for maybe a month now - and I am ready to get out. The interesting thing will be what I say when it comes time to leave, if they even bother to ask why, because here are my reasons, but I am afraid they fall into the 'burning bridges' category...

- I just don't like it.
- I asked for a written job description, and was told that there wasn't one. Great - I just love flying blind like that.
- There will be no change in compensation until my anniverary date of JUNE, depending on how I am doing. (Made so much easier to judge with no position description!) Because it will be "significant", it will have to be approved by the CFP and HR VP. However, no number has been put on the table, so I don't know what "significant" means.
- Lots of fractionalization between departments right now, and a LOT of infighting, which gets really old.
- 4 other departments have had major shakeups in the past couple months, people who are left are *very* spooked. Anytime anything goes wrong, the finger pointing starts, because they are afraid that they will be the next ones fired. It's no fun working with people who can't just say "I made a mistake, let me fix it."
- The VP that I am reporting to is basically a twit who gets some twisted pleasure out of kicking people's feet out from under them, usually in front of an important audience. Nice...

Hmm, maybe I should just stick with "I wanted to get back into a small company..."

Cindy
wow, that was long - sorry!
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (18) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement