UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (76) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: scarybrat22 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 883874  
Subject: Re: Sunday Library Service Date: 3/24/2013 6:17 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
" I presume your comment was meant in jest, but I'd gladly jettison our public library to put more money in my pocket, or even just to replace some of our public safety officers (read: police & fire) who have been laid off.

There have been robberies reported on the same block as the police station. When crime is that bad, it's hard to justify "quality of life" tax expenditures. "

Libraries serve as more than quality of life expenditures. They also serve as life-lines, particularly to the unemployed. I am lucky that I have a laptop and internet, but there have been times within the last couple months, when my laptop was out for repair, that the local library was a god send. As someone who is currently unemployed, I wouldn't have been able to apply for jobs otherwise. The last time I went to Kinkos, I spent nearly ten dollars for just 20 minutes of internet time and a few pages printed. Whereas at the public library, I didn't spend a dime, other than a little under a dollar for printing the pages I needed. I would rather pay taxes for educational institutions, and libraries certainly fall under that umbrella, than the continual greasing of foreign nations that could care squat for our culture and values. If we had the will to cut some of that fat, then funding things like fire, safety, and educational institutions would be a non-issue.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (76) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Not Cheering the Shire Deal
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement