Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Crosenfield Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121313  
Subject: Re: Capital Gain and my 403B Date: 8/12/2001 3:21 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
" What if I roll my 403B nest egg directly over to a Roth IRA? Then I'll never pay any tax when I begin withdrawing (after 5 years & at age 59.5)?"

Uncle Sam has forseen this one and won't let you do it.
You can get your 403B into a Roth by this procedure: You roll the 403B into a TRADITIONAL IRA. No taxes due here.
You can then roll the traditional IRA into a Roth, paying the taxes (not penalty) on the amount so rolled. You are allowed to do this if your AGI qualifies you for such a rollover.
The problem is that while the rollover does not disqualify you from having a Roth (assuming you were entitled to a Roth in the first place)
your AGI on which you will pay 2001 tax will include both your usual salary and investment income, but also the amount of the rollover on top of that, at which you will pay tax at your marginal rate or maybe above what would otherwise have been your marginal rate.
You run the numbers, but you may do better to leave the traditional IRA alone and pay the tax at what the bracket will be when you are 59 1/2. On the other hand, if you are going to invest aggressively in stocks and you believe the market will be a lot higher in 5 years (I do) you may prefer to swallow the tax bite and make the conversion.
But eventually, Uncle WILL get his!
Best wishes, Chris

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

The Deflationary Cycle Explained
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement