Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (18) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: babybull Big red star, 1000 posts CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 58841  
Subject: Re: Amazon - Another Compuserve? Date: 2/24/1999 8:04 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
"1) Competition will reduce margins (and returns) in any business;
2) Extraordinary returns will attract competition;
3) Amazon is currently priced on the expectation of extraordinary returns."

Dean,

I'm afraid I'll have to take issue with your syllogism. Competition will reduce margins? You are assuming, I think, effective competition. Ineffective competition, after all, won't reduce anybody's margins. And there are lots of reasons Amazon's competitors won't be effective. Amazon has first-mover advantage, a very strong brand name in the e-commerce sphere, visionary management, a ton of cash, contracts locking up primo internet real estate, and an associates program designed to suck people in like the borg.

Now, who are Amazon's competitors? AOL, a company busy running an isp. Yahoo, a company busy running its search engine. Brick-and-mortar whoever, companies that see the internet as an addition to their "real" business. And internet start-ups with no cash, no cachet, and no chance against the big river.

Amazon's potentially serious competitors--who do have cash--are unfocused and too slow in understanding the revolutionary nature of this new medium. The companies who do understand it are too small and have no brand name worth mentioning.

Right now Amazon is the top dog. I will remain an investor unless and until I see Amazon failing to keep ahead of its competition.

Your notion that Amazon can be number one in e-commerce, and yet somehow may still have unspectacular profits, is foreign to me. I just don't get the argument.

Can you name any company that is number one in a thriving, growing industry that is not (eventually) highly profitable, or that has not been a good investment for its shareholders? Assuming, of course, that said company remains number one, which you are willing to assume.

I think you're making a mistake in not taking a serious look at Amazon's competition, and trying to figure out which one of them is going to win. There's money to be made in internet commerce--a lot of it. I think it bizarre to say Amazon will lose when you have no idea who will beat them.

Taylor

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (18) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement