UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (16) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Off2Explore Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 744790  
Subject: Re: Interesting Article Date: 10/11/2000 1:09 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
"(1) Since fixed income investments historically lag the return on equities by 3% to 4% per annum, it will take a lot longer for CD investors to accumulate a nest egg of 'X' dollars."

This assumes that most of your nest egg comes from compounding rather than saving. The closer you are to retirement, the less true this is. Under the conservative projections I've made going forward, assuming that investment returns will quickly head south in a 'return to the mean' that brings the long-term average back to 10.5%, saving is more important than investing. The higher your discretionary income is, the more true this will be.

"Buying 30-Year TIPS is preferable to CDs for "all CD" investors. Currently an inflation-adjusted yield of almost 4% is available in 30-Year TIPS."

Is the gap great enough to make TIPS a better deal for taxable accounts, given that the TIPS interest will be taxable annually while the CD interest won't be taxable (as I understand it, which may be wrong) until the CD comes due or is otherwise withdrawn?

I agree that inflation-adjusted yields are stellar, which is why I've just started buying I-bonds. This gives me good after-inflation return safely and lets me defer the taxes until I actually use the money. I would never want to be completely out of the stock market, but I have sold most of my tech stocks and am very wary about what new stocks I purchase. (I am looking only for good value at this point, as I believe that the growth-stock mania is about to end badly.)

Off2Explore
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (16) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement