Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: gtstarling Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121316  
Subject: Re: IRA Beneficiary Date: 11/11/1999 1:02 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
"After my husband and I are long departed, my IRA beneficiary is my cousin in Scotland, I am being told that it will not be part of my estate, and no taxes will be owed, since the IRA will be sent overseas. Is this true???"

Don't you wish????

It will be part of your estate - and taxed at rates as high as 55% if the estate is above $3 Million. (There is an exemption that allows estates of up to $650,000 in 1999 - increasing in increments to $1 Million by 2008 - to pay no tax.)

However, ordinary IRA's also have income tax still due - and this must be paid by the beneficiary as "Income with Respect to a Decedent" or IRD. The fact that the beneficiary is overseas does not, to my knowledge, make any difference.

IRA's as a part of an estate is an area of vast ignorance of what happens - and heirs get much less than we think they will in many cases.

There are ways to minimize the damages. For example, if you are including a charity in your estate plan, make sure the charity is at least a partial beneficary of your IRA. There are two benefits: First, there is an unlimited charitable deduction for estate tax purposes. That is, there is no estate tax payable on the charitable bequest. Second, as a charity, it will receive the bequest tax-free. That is, the income tax is also forgiven because of the charity's tax-exempt status (assuming it is a 501(c)(3) organization).

There are other ways to stretch out the deferal of the income taxes by careful selection of your withdrawal and beneficary options. But, you can get hit with all of the taxes within the first few years after the estate is distributed if you are not careful.

Good hunting! (for the right answers)
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Netflix Riles Investors
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement