UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (20) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: JimB100 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 10561  
Subject: Re: How to Surprise an Economist Date: 3/15/2003 10:52 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4
"Also, I'd be careful of how history is portrayed and passed on. Also, I'd be careful of how people (in general) have selective memories and exaggerated storytelling tendencies."

Funny how people that didn't experience the Depression (or WWII, for that matter) are inclined to diminish those events. I grew up during the Depression and it didn't begin to end until lend-lease started and then WWII. I was 12 when the war started. Lived in a small blue collar town surrounded by oil refineries, powder plants and smelting plants. Everyone that could, worked and it was very hard dirty physical work.
Men carpooled to work; there were no hospital or dental benefits; social security was new; pensions were few and far between; local stores carried credit - no credit cards; no freeways; telephones were two party; closest hospital was 20 miles away and no ambulances; fire department was all volunteer. Police was 1 motocycle cop. Life was very different, but we had one thing that we don't have now. We had really excellent K-12 schools. Really good!.

Today I returned to Pinole, California, to just walk around. There is a plaque at the entrance to the public park and for some reason I wrote it down. It reads: "This plaque is dedicated to the young men of Pinole who gave their lives in World War II to keep our country free" Listed below were six names. I knew them all.

I'd be careful about suggesting that people from that era have 'selective memories' and are inclined to 'exaggeration'. The young men on that plaque, who suffered through the Depression and died in a war, deserve better.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (20) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Economic Implications of Cuba
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement