Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
"Analysis"? Horse hockey!. If that's the case, consulting the entrails of sheep constitutes "analysis". What IBD is doing is the intellectual equivalent of Gwyneth Paltrow steaming her vagina (and recommending that option) or recommending women shove jade rocks up same for health reasons.

Uh huh.

I've owned AAPL since I started believing the rumors that Apple would by NeXT, so that was 1997 or before. Sold some, bought some, got the dividends. I lived through the 9/2000 crash in AAPL and rode the growth many years later -- all without any unassailable reason whatsoever to believe that AAPL would recover, any more than I would have known that AAPL would crash before 9/2000.

Like it or not, technical analysis either drives or puts a different perspective on a lot of stock market movement, depending on your point of view. At the very least, complaining that some people use it to drive their trades with nothing more than name-calling is unlikely to change anything.

Sometimes such analysis informed by industry reports, sometimes not. Often, it's simply a matter of making calculations based on the stock price, movement, and nothing more. Those calculations are readily available for AAPL or any other stock on sites like Yahoo. You could apply such calculations, in principle, to daily temperature fluctuations.

I've long ago learned not to place much faith in the price targets of analysts, technical or otherwise -- AAPL price targets have lately overstated AAPL's actual near- to mid-term price, for example. Other people may view them the way I do, or not. I'm not asking. The technical analysis is interesting in an abstract way, but I don't make investments based on them.

Similarly, I've learned to ignore cheerleading, AAPL-is-going-up, rah-rah-rah, analysts-are-stupid emotionalism. The cheerleading is less interesting than technical analysis, which I've already noted I don't put much emphasis on.

-awlabrador
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement