Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: knighttof3 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 13878  
Subject: "and" or "or"? Date: 11/7/2012 1:55 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I need to give following instructions to the employees:
"If anything important comes up, contact X for project A issues, and Y for all other issues."

Would it be better to say
"If anything important comes up, contact X for project A issues, or Y for all other issues."?

I do not want to make any changes to the rest of the wording.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: culcha Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12720 of 13878
Subject: Re: "and" or "or"? Date: 11/7/2012 3:25 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
How about: "If anything important comes up, contact X for project A issues; for all other issues, contact Y."?

Or maybe: "If anything important comes up: contact X for project A issues, and contact Y for all other issues."

culcha

Author: TMBFAverageJoe Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12721 of 13878
Subject: Re: "and" or "or"? Date: 11/7/2012 3:48 PM
Go with and.

Or, if this is considered an "other issue", contact Y to see how he wants to settle it.

~aj

Author: Frydaze1 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12722 of 13878
Subject: Re: "and" or "or"? Date: 11/7/2012 5:08 PM
Recommendations: 1
If you really want to *only* consider that word for a change, I'd go with "or". I think it gets your point across most clearly.

Frydaze1

Author: sheila727 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12723 of 13878
Subject: Re: "and" or "or"? Date: 11/7/2012 8:07 PM
Recommendations: 2
vs....

"If anything important comes up, contact X for project A issues, or Y for all other issues."

I prefer "and" or nothing, and dislike the "or."

My choice:

"If anything important comes up, contact X for project A issues, Y for all other issues."

sheila

Author: discurro Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12724 of 13878
Subject: Re: "and" or "or"? Date: 11/8/2012 11:07 AM
Recommendations: 3
I need to give following instructions to the employees:
"If anything important comes up, contact X for project A issues, and Y for all other issues."

Would it be better to say
"If anything important comes up, contact X for project A issues, or Y for all other issues."?

I agree with some others that changing the wording may be the best choice, but logically I think what you want is "or".

By using "and" you are stating contact X for project A
for all other issues, contact X and Y

By using "or" you are stating that only Y should be contacted in the second case.

I know either way people will figure it out, but the programmer in my prefers the correct usage of "and" and "or".

Author: AOLFoolman100 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12725 of 13878
Subject: Re: "and" or "or"? Date: 11/8/2012 12:15 PM
It depends. The words "And" and "Or" obviously have different meanings. "And" denotes both cases, and "Or" denotes one or the other.

So the audience of your message....are some possibly addressing both? Or do all address one or the other. If former, choose And. If latter, choose Or.

Author: discurro Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12726 of 13878
Subject: Re: "and" or "or"? Date: 11/8/2012 12:17 PM
It depends. The words "And" and "Or" obviously have different meanings. "And" denotes both cases, and "Or" denotes one or the other.

So the audience of your message....are some possibly addressing both? Or do all address one or the other. If former, choose And. If latter, choose Or.

huh?

Author: sheila727 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12727 of 13878
Subject: Re: "and" or "or"? Date: 11/8/2012 1:09 PM
Recommendations: 1
By using "and" you are stating contact X for project A
for all other issues, contact X and Y

I respectfully disagree.

"If anything important comes up, contact X for project A issues, and Y for all other issues." is a shorthand way of saying:

If anything important comes up, discuss project A issues with contact X and discuss all other issues with contact Y.

sheila

Author: discurro Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12728 of 13878
Subject: Re: "and" or "or"? Date: 11/8/2012 3:51 PM
"...is a shorthand way of saying"

as i said, either would be understood, but I was speaking logically not shorthand.

Author: warrl Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12729 of 13878
Subject: Re: "and" or "or"? Date: 11/8/2012 8:54 PM

huh?

I think the point is: is there an issue that is a Project A issue and also, simultaneously, an "other issue"?

Suppose for the sake of argument that the facility is flooded. EVERYTHING going on in that facility stops, and some things actually lose ground because stuff has to be repaired, replaced, or redone. Project A is among the several projects affected - at a very minimum it is not progressing on schedule. So is this a Project A issue, an "other issue", or both?

Author: stevenjklein Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12730 of 13878
Subject: Re: "and" or "or"? Date: 11/8/2012 10:20 PM
Recommendations: 3

That's too bad, because often the best solution to a problem like this is to rewrite the whole sentence, sometimes splitting it into two sentences.

Like this, for example:
If anything important comes up, contact:
• X for project A issues
• Y for all other issues

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement