UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: jeo0120 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75826  
Subject: Re: What to do...? Date: 11/16/2001 11:43 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
"Anyway, my question is...should I wait till I'm 66 to start taking my SS payments, and should I invest them somewhere, or should I wait till I'm over 70 1/2 to get the maximum amount or should I forget ever getting SS since the Feds seem to be gutting it now? Or, one other possibility, take the SS payments as soon as 62 and invest them????"

To figure out the answer to that question, you will have to consider three things: first, the amount of your SS payments if you were to start taking them at age 62; second, the potential amount of your SS payments if you wait until age 70 1/2; and last, your probable life span. In order to make waiting until age 70 1/2 a profitable choice, you will have to have enough time left in this world to make up for the 8 years that you delayed taking SS payments. If your grandparents and your parents lived into their 90's, and you don't have a great need for the extra income, then maybe waiting a few years makes sense for you. However, if your family has not evidenced such longevity, then you will probably wind up losing money by waiting because you won't have time to make up the difference.

By the way, have you heard about the new "catch up" provisions in the most recent tax legislation? Since you are over age 50, starting next year, you will be able to contribute money to your IRA and your employer sponsored retirement plan over and above the normal contribution limits.

Good luck,
jeo

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement