No. of Recommendations: 1
"Art will like this one." http://www.newsweek.com/what-happens-when-you-die-brain-keep... - intercst
-----------------------------------

“Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real.” - Niels Bohr, one of the founding fathers of modern quantum physics

It's another piece of the puzzle. It's not just "one thing" but a whole bunch of little pieces that all together seem to suggest that life and our universe are not as hard and fast as what we once believed. Quantum physics, the holographic universe theory, NDEs, death bed visions, some mystical and transcendental experiences, etc. all seem to lean in the direction that like my mom used to say to me when I was a kid "truth is stranger than fiction."

"In science and history, consilience (also convergence of evidence or concordance of evidence) refers to the principle that evidence from independent, unrelated sources can "converge" to strong conclusions. That is, when multiple sources of evidence are in agreement, the conclusion can be very strong even when none of the individual sources of evidence is significantly so on its own. Most established scientific knowledge is supported by a convergence of evidence."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consilience

Excerpt from Mysterious Light by Peter Russell,
"Take, for example, our ideas as to the nature of matter. For two thousand years it was believed that atoms were tiny balls of solid matter-a model clearly drawn from everyday experience. Then, as physicists discovered that atoms were composed of more elementary, subatomic, |particles (electrons, protons, neutrons, and suchlike), the model shifted to one of a central nucleus surrounded by orbiting electrons-again a model based on experience.

An atom may be small, a mere billionth of an inch across, but these subatomic particles are a hundred-thousand times smaller still. Imagine the nucleus of an atom magnified to the size of a grain of rice. The whole atom would then be the size of a football stadium, and the electrons would be other grains of rice flying round the stands. As the early twentieth-century British physicist Sir Arthur Eddington put it, "matter is mostly ghostly empty space"-99.9999999 percent empty space, to be a little more precise.

With the advent of quantum theory, it was found that even these minute subatomic particles were themselves far from solid. In fact, they are not much like matter at all-at least nothing like matter as we know it. They can't be pinned down and measured precisely. They are more like fuzzy clouds of potential existence, with no definite location. Much of the time they seem more like waves than particles. Whatever matter is, it has little, if any, substance to it."

http://www.peterrussell.com/SG/IONS.php

Art
Print the post Back To Top
sounds like death is even less fun than I imagined =*-p
No. of Recommendations: 0
sounds like death is even less fun than I imagined =*-p

Yeah. I think I'll try to avoid it for now.
"Art will like this one." http://www.newsweek.com/what-happens-when-you-die-brain-keep... - intercst
-----------------------------------

“Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real.” - Niels Bohr, one of the founding fathers of modern quantum physics

It's another piece of the puzzle. It's not just "one thing" but a whole bunch of little pieces that all together seem to suggest that life and our universe are not as hard and fast as what we once believed. Quantum physics, the holographic universe theory, NDEs, death bed visions, some mystical and transcendental experiences, etc. all seem to lean in the direction that like my mom used to say to me when I was a kid "truth is stranger than fiction."

"In science and history, consilience (also convergence of evidence or concordance of evidence) refers to the principle that evidence from independent, unrelated sources can "converge" to strong conclusions. That is, when multiple sources of evidence are in agreement, the conclusion can be very strong even when none of the individual sources of evidence is significantly so on its own. Most established scientific knowledge is supported by a convergence of evidence."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consilience

Excerpt from Mysterious Light by Peter Russell,
"Take, for example, our ideas as to the nature of matter. For two thousand years it was believed that atoms were tiny balls of solid matter-a model clearly drawn from everyday experience. Then, as physicists discovered that atoms were composed of more elementary, subatomic, |particles (electrons, protons, neutrons, and suchlike), the model shifted to one of a central nucleus surrounded by orbiting electrons-again a model based on experience.

An atom may be small, a mere billionth of an inch across, but these subatomic particles are a hundred-thousand times smaller still. Imagine the nucleus of an atom magnified to the size of a grain of rice. The whole atom would then be the size of a football stadium, and the electrons would be other grains of rice flying round the stands. As the early twentieth-century British physicist Sir Arthur Eddington put it, "matter is mostly ghostly empty space"-99.9999999 percent empty space, to be a little more precise.

With the advent of quantum theory, it was found that even these minute subatomic particles were themselves far from solid. In fact, they are not much like matter at all-at least nothing like matter as we know it. They can't be pinned down and measured precisely. They are more like fuzzy clouds of potential existence, with no definite location. Much of the time they seem more like waves than particles. Whatever matter is, it has little, if any, substance to it."

http://www.peterrussell.com/SG/IONS.php

Art
Brain Keeps Working After You Die

The most important question is one only the RWNJs can answer:

How do the RWNJs keep their bodies going after they have been brain dead for so many years?
No. of Recommendations: 3
Imagine the nucleus of an atom magnified to the size of a grain of rice.

OK.

...and the electrons would be other grains of rice flying round the stands.

Wrong. This dork doesn't know what he's talking about. Electrons are vastly smaller than even a single proton. About 10000 times smaller, in fact. So if the nucleus is a grain of rice then an electron is not even a grain of sand.

People and their pseudo-scientific BS drive me nuts. They never know what they hell they are talking about. They should leave it to those of us who do, and instead get jobs where they inquire if someone wants to "supersize" their order.
""People and their pseudo-scientific BS drive me nuts. They never know what they hell they are talking about. They should leave it to those of us who do, and instead get jobs where they inquire if someone wants to "supersize" their order." - 1poorguy
------------------------

My Atheist Dad’s Deathbed Visions

"My father had visions like these fairly frequently, and he would describe them to me as they occurred. It was an odd experience, listening to him and watching him, like he had one foot in the spiritual realm, and one foot in the bedroom, with me. He was translating, if you will, what he saw. I’d like to mention that these were all drug free experiences."

full article can be read @:

https://reneetamara.wordpress.com/2012/10/14/my-atheist-dads...

<grin>

Art
I'm not going around that tree with you again. And it doesn't negate the fact that grain-of-rice guy didn't know what he was talking about.
"I'm not going around that tree with you again. And it doesn't negate the fact that grain-of-rice guy didn't know what he was talking about." - 1poorguy
---------------------------------------------

It's a metaphor and all metaphors fall apart if you try and take them too far or too literally. Albert Einstein said there are two ways of living your life, " ‘There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.’"

It is obvious which camp you are in. <smile>

Art
Yes, I am in the camp of what can be demonstrated. And of not mis-using science to convince people of things that aren't so (or at least things that science does not claim are true).

If you can't show it you don't know it. But then, to your credit, at least once you've admitted that you can't prove it and have a doubt. Which is why I mostly leave you alone on this now.

This time I was going going after the pinhead you linked who apparently thinks electrons and nuclei are roughly the same size.
Advertisement