UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (40) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Spyneyes Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 7258  
Subject: Re: Survival plan Date: 8/26/2001 10:18 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 8
"Buying stocks no matter what the stock market condition is a ridiculous way of investing. Most investment clubs that follows that kind of a philosophy lost more than half of their portfolio's value."

I wonder if you have any data to back up this conclusion? Somehow I seriously doubt it. I've been an investor for 18 years and I have never let the whims and emotions of the market keep me from constantly and persistently investing. It's not the "market" that I'm buying, but rather individual companies with strong fundamentals and growth at their core. This method has paid off handsomely for me, and has proven itself over many decades for individuals as well as clubs. Nor have I ever seen my portfolio or that of my club lose half it's value. Not even close!

"I think that in order to survive in this maket is to stay in cash until there is a clear sign that the market has bottomed."

Is that all there is to it? Just look for that inevitable "clear sign" huh? I'd be careful what you label as "ridiculous." Who among us doesn't wish it were so easy?

"The person who ... invests on a regular schedule is better off than the person who studies and tries to time his investments, getting into stocks when he feels confident and out when he feels queasy."
-- Peter Lynch, Beating the Street, p. 36

"Don't try to buy at the bottom and sell at the top. It can't be done except by liars." -- Bernard Baruch (1870-1965)

It's not timing the market, it's time in the market that counts.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (40) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Starting a Club
Learn how to start and run your own club, the Motley Fool way!
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement