Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
"can I take my IRA (stocks) away from my broker and handle the investments myself? How does this work, would it still be out of my control?"

You can put your money into a self directed IRA. You can have in a discount brokerage IRA account and manage the thing yourself. Of course as already mentioned, the IRA must be in a custodian account, but it can still be self directed without the broker and the excess fees.

I am currently doing this through USAA since I am ex-military, but you can also do it through Datek.

Good luck.
Print the post  


What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.