Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: BenSolar Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 55271  
Subject: "Chasing Ice": Film Documents Disappea Date: 12/12/2012 10:57 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 6
Arctic ice loss is hard to visualize. The record low Arctic sea ice minimum this year was three million square kilometers below average. That's more than four times the area of Texas. Incomprehensible. A new movie makes it real with years of time-lapse photography. I'm looking forward to seeing it, but I'm scared to at the same time.

http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2012/12/11/1312111/intervie...

"
a long-time photographer, Balog has tried to illustrate the interaction between humans and nature throughout his career. In 2007, after personally witnessing the melting of glaciers on an assignment for National Geographic, he started a groundbreaking project to document the demise of the world’s ice. Called the Extreme Ice Survey, Balog and his team put 27 cameras in place around the world and have taken pictures of glaciers every hour of daylight since.

Chasing Ice documents the enormously challenging process of getting the project off the ground, as well as the jaw-dropping final product showing geologic changes taking place in just a few years. Suddenly, the melting of the Arctic becomes real, immediate, and terrifying
"
Print the post Back To Top
Author: jck101 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 39791 of 55271
Subject: Re: "Chasing Ice": Film Documents Disa Date: 12/12/2012 9:09 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
I'm looking forward to seeing it, but I'm scared to at the same time.

How scared? Scared enough to stop driving your car to save emissions?

Author: BenSolar Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 39797 of 55271
Subject: Re: "Chasing Ice": Film Documents Disa Date: 12/13/2012 3:01 PM
Recommendations: 3
jck, I drive less than 1/2 the average American, my car gets better than average mileage, soon to be much better than average, as I'm finally going to spring for a used Prius in the next week or two, God willing. I've walked about 3 miles today, haven't started my car yet, and I'll go to the bank, another 1.5 miles roundtrip, also without getting in my car. No sweat, er actually, sweat, but my pleasure. Global warming is one reason of several that I live this way.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement