UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: notablelaggard Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 167  
Subject: "DaVinci's Inquest" ... Date: 8/19/2008 7:45 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4
Total TV Classic

Wonderful stories-
GREAT cast -
Well written.

http://www.netflix.com/Movie/Da_Vinci_s_Inquest_Season_1/700...

n
Print the post Back To Top
Author: notablelaggard Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 153 of 167
Subject: Re: "DaVinci's Inquest" ... Date: 8/25/2008 4:17 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
"The series was critically acclaimed as the best television series in Canada after winning the Gemini Award for Best Dramatic Series for five of its first six seasons..."

~ Wikipedia

Author: notablelaggard Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 154 of 167
Subject: Re: "DaVinci's Inquest" ... Date: 10/4/2008 3:48 AM
Recommendations: 0
If anyone is interested you can go here:
http://www.davincisinquest.tv/
and click on the "local listings" tab
to see what time and channel DaVinci's Inquest
is currently playing in your city. This was
a Mega-hit in Canada and is growing in popularity
now here in the States. In my city it plays
late night THREE NIGHTS a week now!

If you're wondering about it at all go here:
http://www.amazon.com/Da-Vincis-Inquest-Season-3/dp/B0013XS8...

samplings from the Amazon customer reviews -- the only show for sale on Amazon that I've ever seen having every single rating a solid five stars:

= I could not put down these dvd's until I watched all of them, practically immediately upon receiving them.

= Anyone looking at this Da Vinci DVD set shouldn't hesitate to buy it. It's one of the finest shows ever produced, period.

= The series is five-star wonderful. I am only hungry for the next series to be released as soon as possible

Author: notablelaggard Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 155 of 167
Subject: Re: "DaVinci's Inquest" ... Date: 10/4/2008 3:53 AM
also, episodes are now on Youtube .. for a taste.

nl

Author: kenm47 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 156 of 167
Subject: Re: "DaVinci's Inquest" ... Date: 10/4/2008 4:24 AM
Sounds like a darker "Quincy."

Ken

Author: notablelaggard Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 157 of 167
Subject: Re: "DaVinci's Inquest" ... Date: 10/4/2008 6:17 PM
I dunno ... I never have watched "Quincy" .. but from the little impressions I've gotten of it from a distance I wouldn't have made the comparison. I was addicted to NYPD Blue for all of its run and this is *vaguely* reminiscent of that; but its the cast and writing of this that sets it apart. Every place I go online to read about it there is, over and over, "this is the very best police procedural drama ever committed to the screen... better than CSI .. better than Homocide, Life on the Streets .. better than The Wire..". Again, I think it is the appeal of and the chemistry between the actors/characters as much as anything that makes it so completely satisfying. VERY little violence and silliness ... LOTS of relational involvement .. people working their lives out in and amongst others. Very 'gritty' and 'real'. When the New York Times reviewed it they raved and declaired it "unlike anything else on television".

My only caveate is that I do not believe that they had their 'stride' down in the first season. I'd almost recommend that someone step in at the second or third season as each season gets better and better. By the third season, and beyond, it is certainly one of the best things ever put on television.

nl

Author: csp Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 158 of 167
Subject: Re: "DaVinci's Inquest" ... Date: 10/5/2008 2:28 AM
Recommendations: 1
I've started watching this show. I've only seen three episodes - no idea what season they were from since I just setup the DVR to grab them as they are replayed.

Generally, I like the show. One thing I've noticed is the dialog is ... different. The dialog has a remarkably unscripted quality to it and sounds much closer to natural conversation: filler words, broken sentences, etc. Sometimes I wonder if the actors are improvising to some degree, particularly the guy who plays DaVinci.

So far, the stories have fallen somewhat short for me. Lots of good setup but often the story seems to peter out at the end. It's like they can't seem to get the ball across the goal line. I guess the stories are very realistic in that sense - real life seldom has the plot twists and surprises that happen on TV - but I'm not sure makes for compelling television.

One thing that is sort of refreshing is to see a TV show shot in Vancouver that is actually set in Vancouver. I've grown tired of seeing the BC landscape portrayed as various incongruous locations - ex: Kansas (Smallville), eastern U.S. (X-files) or virtually every planet in the galaxy (SG-1). I really like Vancouver so it's nice to see the actual city.

Author: notablelaggard Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 159 of 167
Subject: Re: "DaVinci's Inquest" ... Date: 10/5/2008 6:54 PM
If you browse around and read through some of the boards on DaVinci's Inquest, or if you go to netflix and read what the viewers say or to Amazon for their reviews, you'll see a LOT of people noting that they love the fact that it is so much more realistic than, say, NYPD Blue in so far as it depicts something closer to the actual facts of trying to decipher events and track down evidence and put the right people behind bars despite the frustrations that the actual numbers on such things are MUCH lower than the CSI's would have us believe. There is CLEARLY a formula for screenwriters beginning with the leftovers of a murder, then little breakthrough after breakthrough to the chocolate coated conclusion of a perp heading off to their unhappy future behind bars. C'mon! Do we *really* want to see this wet dream over and over and over again! Again, just aNOTHER reason why DI is so good.
It is, btw, a 'true story' of the life of a famous 'coroner turned DA' in Vancouver who was quite a character. Many of the story lines are supposedly from those occuring during his career.
And I agree with you about Vancouver ... it really 'photographs well' and makes a spectacular backdrop to the show. And I'm absolutely mesmerized by the bluesy ending music with the shot of the bridge in deeeeep blue. exquisite. There's even a dvd out of music from the show.

Glad somebody here gave it a peek!
Now I can stop banging the drum so obnoxiously -

nl

Author: csp Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 160 of 167
Subject: Re: "DaVinci's Inquest" ... Date: 10/5/2008 10:58 PM
Recommendations: 1
And I'm absolutely mesmerized by the bluesy ending music with the shot of the bridge in deeeeep blue.

I like that too.

I just finished watching another episode, and the show is growing on me more and more. I think initially, I walked into the show with a set of expectations that came from watching U.S. police procedurals and it took me a while to adjust. I agree, the realism in this show is actually very refreshing.

Author: notablelaggard Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 161 of 167
Subject: Re: "DaVinci's Inquest" ... Date: 10/6/2008 4:24 AM
yeah .. i don't recall ever loving/looking forward to 'ending credits' before this show. absolutely gorgeous.

if you ever should wonder you can go here:
http://epguides.com/DaVincisInquest/
[scroll down] - to find out where in the seven seasons your show falls, IF you have a local listing for the name of the show OR you caught the name in the opening credits. Once you've found it, click on the show title to go to plotline and info about that episode. I find, personally, that the show gets better and better as the seasons progress. There are seven seasons in all, and Acorn has only put the first three on dvd. MANY people are wishing they'd go ahead and put the last four on, and, with the attention the show continues to get they would be fools not to.
I'm glad that you've found it enjoyable. Definitely one of those 'the more you watch the more it grows on ya' shows. A subtle but certain addictor, for sure.

nl

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement