UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: DeltaOne81 Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76079  
Subject: "Depositing" to 401K Date: 11/8/2005 10:22 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Crosspost with the 401K board
-------------
Background:

- eFund established at ~6 months expenses (Emigrant)
- An additional backup eFund of bonds is as a "just in case of a very bad situation", is a bit less than that (a few places)
- downpayment funded to cover potential car downpayment and 5% home downpayment (20% in unheard of in the Boston area for a first time homebuyer around here, and no down is even common) - no plans for this within the next couple years or so (Vanguard)

- maxing out Roth IRA (Fidelity)
- full match for 401K and more (good 401K options) (Fidelity)
- Some taxable accounts (Scottrade and the above Vanguard)

Okay, now I have $15K more that I'm moving from an ex-custodial account to... somewhere. I was planning on putting it in some Vanguard fund, to let is ride, but I'm not sure which one.

Someone suggested upping my 401K contributions drastically and living off of the $15K for a while (i.e. just putting it in savings). That way I could quietly "deposit" it to my 401K over time. My issues with this plan (not to say it's a bad one) are:
1) For some reason it feels pretty painful
2) I probably contribute about $7K to my 401K as is, so it would take me a good year or two to "quietly deposit" all this to a 401K
3) Is it such a bad idea to just put this in some tax efficient, low fee Vanguard index fund?
4) For some reason, it feels really painful ;-)

Of course, on the plus side, not only does that make the money tax free for the growth stage, but it also kicks off a good few thousand in tax burden for the next year or two... which makes it very tempting. But why does it feel so painful? ;-)

So the question are:
1) Would you do the 401K plan, why or why not? How beneficial do you think it is?
2) If not, where should I put the money? Logically I know it's really retirment money and I should just let it ride, but somehow psychologically, it's not in a retirment account so a loss would just feel more painful, so what't the correct balance? Balanced Fund? Large Cap? Total Market?... International Small Cap? ;-)

Thanks for any comments.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

IBM: Is Buffett Wrong, or Brilliant?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement