Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: TAC888 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 63  
Subject: Re: Earnings Date: 5/2/2012 3:59 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
"don't forget the food/nutrition, cosmetic, and other segments that contribute to their business model."

Exactly.

Saying that Solzyme is a dead duck because their diesel substitute is not yet economically viable is like saying Apple is dead because nobody uses the iPod shuffle any more... Comments like this are so yesterday. There are many more high value and high margin products that Solazyme produces and it's pretty myopic to dump this company in with 'expensive enviro tech' (Solyndra, Fisker, etc). Honestly I don't understand the very intentional mission a certain individual has against this company... but the banging of a single drum over and over again is getting tiresome.

To me this company is something like a penny stock copper mine that's discovered gold in their hills... the challenge is not product, or need, or value. Their challenge is execution. Can they get the funding they need to build the infrastructure? Can they manage their burn until profitable? Can they ramp up without massive dilution?

Witness today's Dow Chemical announcement, with quotes like:

"Solazyme and Dow Enter into Contingent Global Commercial Offtake Agreement"

"into a contingent offtake agreement"

"contingent upon Solazyme’s ability to supply such oils within agreed specifications and certain terms and conditions"

The appliability of this product to a use is not in question, it's more about whether or not Solazyme can deliver on time. And then:

"an exclusive, multi-year extension of the current joint-development agreement including accelerated commercialization timelines based on Solazyme’s rapid progress in the production of tailored algal oils"

What do I take from this? I take two things: 1. The agreement is being accelerated. This would only be the case if early efforts were paying off and were fruitful. 2. Dow recognizes that Solazyme is pretty fast at tailoring oils, nice endorsement.

Mikey likes it. Maybe this isn't a 2015 story after all...
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Ubiquiti Analysis
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement