Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: cosmos284 Big red star, 1000 posts 10+ Year Anniversary! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 201  
Subject: Quotes Date: 7/27/2011 10:43 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
I'm watching Season 2 of Dexter, and here's a great quote from Dexter re: his police department position. "I don't have a badge, I have a laminate."

Cosmos
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Myownigloo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 179 of 201
Subject: Re: Quotes Date: 7/28/2011 9:13 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I don`t watch this show. I think it might be on cable and we don`t have cable, but even if it is broadcast, the very premise turns me off. Still, it must have overcome the possible moral objections of people because it seems to be a popular show. Will you explain what your attraction to it is based on? TIA

Author: cosmos284 Big red star, 1000 posts 10+ Year Anniversary! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 180 of 201
Subject: Re: Quotes Date: 7/31/2011 12:23 AM
I'm watching it on dvd from Netflix. I'm surprised by how much I enjoy Dexter. I don't watch CSI or Law and Order or many other crime dramas. * I rarely read crime novels, after a friend's fiance was murdered a number of years ago I stopped reading mysteries. I had a vivid dream about a cop show I watched a few years ago, and I stopped watching those for the most part and don't miss them.

I watch the show because it is good, both the writing and acting are strong, and it is more character driven than plot driven. Dexter has an honor code taught to him by his father, and he follows it quite rigorously. The show has a strong ensemble cast, which is another feature in many shows I enjoy.

Cosmos

*I watch The Good Wife and Breaking Bad

Author: tconi Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 181 of 201
Subject: Re: Quotes Date: 7/31/2011 7:50 AM
possible moral objections

having not watched Dexter, but read all the books, I can address this part.
Dexter is a sociopath. (brought on by some trauma as a small child)
He knows it.
His foster father (a cop) recognized this when neighborhood animals started going missing. Foster father realized that Dexter was beyond "curing" so he carefully instructed him on how to be come a controlled sociopath and behave correctly socially. He especially taught him
1) how to not get caught
and
2) how to choose only victims who were "uncontrolled" sociopaths, i.e. serial killers

So yes, Dexter is a killer, but he is killing those who have already killed repeatedly and will kill again, so Dexter serves the greater good.

Kind of like a Robin Hood -
Robin Hood is a thief, but he serves the greater good.

peace & blood stains
t

Author: Myownigloo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 182 of 201
Subject: Re: Quotes Date: 8/1/2011 1:25 PM
Ah, thanks. I understand how they did it, then.

Funniest thing. Day after I read cosmos's post I was watching The Mentalist and the main character in that show said almost the same line!

Something like, "it's not a badge, really, just a laminate."

MOI

Author: Myownigloo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 183 of 201
Subject: Re: Quotes Date: 8/1/2011 1:30 PM
I rarely read crime novels, after a friend's fiance was murdered a number of years ago I stopped reading mysteries.

I am a murder mystery junky. I cannot begin to imagine how such a thing would affect me. It would certainly make withdrawal simple. But I don't ever want to find out.

I have known one person who was murdered, and that was almost a "non-murder," in that it was a dispute between the man and his son-in-law and heat of passion, etc., etc., etc. It was shocking at the time -- I was only 8 or 9, I think. I can't remember how old I was. It was weird hearing about it on the radio and knowing it was someone I knew.

Then we went to the wake and my parents went in to view the body, leaving me in the waiting room of the funeral party.

Small town. Not much community civic center space. The inquest was going on in another room down the hall and I could hear every word. So there I was, listening to them question the son-in-law and hearing all the gory details while my parents thought they were protecting me from having to view the body.

I did not find it so traumatic until they came out and whisked me away and I realized I was supposed to be traumatized.

It didn't spoil my love of mysteries, but if it were someone closer and circumstances were different, I can see how it would.

MOI

Author: Myownigloo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 184 of 201
Subject: Re: Quotes Date: 8/1/2011 1:31 PM
The Good Wife

For some reason, I have never been able to view this show. It's more than disinterest. It has turned me off since the get-go. And it's highly acclaimed, so I think I'd probably like it if I ever got into it, but I just can't get into it.

MOI

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement