UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Matt1344 Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 17  
Subject: Re: A moment of silence Date: 6/30/2005 8:40 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
"Evidently there is only one surviving retiree on the boards. May they rest in peace."

HI Cameo,

Hmmm, where are they??? There are many boards and this one just popped up in my Favorite boards list, otherwise I wouldn't know it existed. I usually monitor the "Retirement Investing" board, http://boards.fool.com/Messages.asp?mid=22687998&bid=100154 , along with 78 others. Not much chance I'd have ever noticed this one and have no idea why the Fool added it to my list.

Sounds like life has been kind to you in recent years. Your homestead sounds great. I partially retired at 55 and at 63+ I just signed up for SS and will say goodbye to the occasional contract work I've been doing. First payday at the end of July.

I don't have a fortune but I have very few bills and started doing the LBYM before I'd heard it called that. In '82 I was pretty much living paycheck to paycheck. I bought the house, and as I got raises and paid off a car loan I put that money towards the principal. I paid it off in 10 years, put some away in my 401K and other savings plans.

I started doing woodworking as a hobby a couple of years after quiting the full time job, http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/lv2dance/my_photos, I hit the gym 2 or 3 times a week and dance once or twice a week. My motorcycle is looking forward to some road time now that the weather is warm and dry ;-) I like to go out during the week when most folks are working so there's less traffic to contend with. I've read hundreds of books but seem to have a mental deficiency when it comes to learning from reading... mostly I read for entertainment or during my bible studies; turned off the TV in Nov. 2002.

I started with the Stock Advisor newsletter in August 2003 and have since added Hidden gems and Inside Value. Most of the older Fool approaches have morphed into other entities or been discarded. I like oil, gold, utilities and health care stocks(although I'm thinking they're a bit pricey right now). I do have concerns for the coming days as our personal and national debt levels continue to rise.

We can see China is losing interest in our Treasuries and wants to buy our companies Maytag and IBM. Where will all this leave us in a few years... more lost jobs and I don't think they want to buy Unocal in order to serve our needs, somehow I have the feeling we will see even higher fuel prices if they succeed... I'm thinking there will be tough days ahead. Choose your stocks carefully...

All the best to you and any fellow retiree's still breathing, don't rest in peace too soon ;-)

Regards, Ken ("As Tim McGraw sings, "I hope you get the chance to live like you were dying.")

If you want a Spell Checker for InternetExplorer or Firefox to check MF posts or other web forms: IE => http://www.iespell.com or for Firefox => http://tinyurl.com/3pdwt

"Because love does not do sums, but instead makes choices, and then gives its all."
From the story "The Burning Man" by Tad Williams (See I Corinthians Ch 13:4-13 it's in my profile quote)
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement