UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (18) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: nml Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 189627  
Subject: "Free" AOL Date: 11/6/2002 11:14 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Hi All,

Seems the board is a little slow tonight (not as slow as most boards on the Fool--makes me wonder...), so I thought I would get some of your thoughts on this...

Included with my new Dell (now 3 months old) was "6 Months of AOL Included"--I haven't clicked the shortcut and gone through the install, signup routine because I really haven't ever wanted to mess with AOL (other than the AIM that runs constantly on one of my networked computers or another--3 teens at home). I guess I just hate to get signed up for a short trial, load my computer with AOL stuff, and then have to mess with constant nagging for not continuing the service.

My question (finally)--do any of you use AOL and how do you like it? Would you recommend I give the 'free' trial a trial, or just ignore it?

TIA,
Mick
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Radish Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37055 of 189627
Subject: Re: "Free" AOL Date: 11/6/2002 11:26 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 6
Mick,

My question (finally)--do any of you use AOL and how do you like it? Would you recommend I give the 'free' trial a trial, or just ignore it?

I have used AOL. I might recommend it to my worst enemies. On second thought, that might violate the Geneva Convention.

The worst part is the nasty software you have to install on your computer. Best to do a clean install of your OS after the trial to get rid of the software.

Phil

Author: tqmbill Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37058 of 189627
Subject: Re: "Free" AOL Date: 11/6/2002 11:50 PM
Recommendations: 4
Would you recommend I give the 'free' trial a trial, or just ignore it?
===========

ignore it

it still sucks even if they paid you to use it

Author: PoodleLover Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37059 of 189627
Subject: Re: "Free" AOL Date: 11/7/2002 12:41 AM
Recommendations: 2
~~~
Excuse me? The AIR I breathe is "FREE". This is about ALL I know of that is truly "FREE"!!!

What do you think?

Seymore... . [o;
<<www.hatesAOLwithapassion.pl/moretroublethanitisworth/>>

Author: NoIDAtAll Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37060 of 189627
Subject: Re: "Free" AOL Date: 11/7/2002 12:44 AM
Hi, Mick.

I've loaded AOL on a number of PCs that I've built for people who've requested that I do so. I haven't had a problem with it. And, I've uninstalled it without a problem, either - If concerned, you can pull all of its components out of the Network Icon in Control Panel - not a major deal, at all. On PCs I've built, I've run both my prior local dialup ISP, my current Charter cable service and AOL, simultaneously, without a single glitch. It's one of the faster dialup services that I've installed - by way of their caching content from Internet sites to their own servers for quicker browser performance. Their new version 8 is supposed to have addressed the getting kicked off line syndrome. There are things (community, chat boards and content) that you can get within AOL's "walled garden" that you just can't get anywhere else. After logging on, you can minimize the logon screen and use any browser you want. Their client has a built-in Pop-up killer switch that can be fairly easily accessed along with other preferences you may choose. You can't use Outlook with it as AOL doesn't use POP mail servers but, other than that, it's as or more flexible and quick as any ISP I've seen.

As far a nagging, the most they nag is by way of giving more months of free usage, upon a couple of more free months - If that's nagging, I wish my utility company, phone company, insurance company and landlord would nag me like that. :)

Author: jiml8 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37065 of 189627
Subject: Re: "Free" AOL Date: 11/7/2002 4:18 AM
Recommendations: 3
AOL sux

Author: foolme1111 Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37072 of 189627
Subject: Re: "Free" AOL Date: 11/7/2002 9:07 AM
Recommendations: 3
I would delete and/or uninstall anything even remotely connected to AOL's internet service. I tolerate AIM because my kids use it, but I cannot bear to have AOL's goofy browser and the automatic updates they want to download every time I log off. Eventually they will expect you to pay for their service, but if you call up to cancel, they will offer you another month or two for free.

Author: Wolfshead56 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37075 of 189627
Subject: Re: "Free" AOL Date: 11/7/2002 10:10 AM
I was an AOL member for over 10 years and at one time thoroughly enjoyed it. Before the advent of the web it had great sites to go and get information pertaining to almost anything you wanted or needed. With the advent of the web however all AOL became,IMHO, outside the chat rooms was a massive portal and mail server. When AOL took over the chat room I had worked for and dropped my overhead account I said so long to AOL. Was willing to use it as long as it was free but wasn't going to pay for it when my DSL provided me with an ISP anyway. That being said I still do miss some chatting with some of the friends I had made over the years on AOL but can't even really say I miss the chat rooms because as AOL got bigger they seem to let their terms of service slide and many of the rooms became havens for people out looking to harrass others. All that being said I might still have thought about remaining with AOL except I do not like the fact that they keep sending automatic updates to the software on your computer and do not sk if you wish to accept these updates, they just do it. Sorry, I might not mind updating things but I want a say in what goes on my system, not a note that tells me to be patient as AOL updates my software. Also I have been told that signing up to use the free hours is like signing up to the service and that trying to cancel was a PITA. That might have changed however since it's been at least 3 years since I've been on AOL.

All and all I had a good experience with AOL but it was much better in the early years when they were still a growing service and not the 800 pound gorilla they are now. If you like chat rooms they cannot be beat but see little else that they can provide that a regular ISP connection to the web cannot.

herb

Author: RaVeN69 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37077 of 189627
Subject: Re: "Free" AOL Date: 11/7/2002 11:05 AM
My parents and my sister-in-law's family both use AOL. AOl works great for them. Never had a problem with it. They primarily use the dial up connection from AOL and then use Internet Explorer to do their internet surfing.

My parents use AOL as it is the only stable ISP where they live. They had tried every other ISP imaginable and they would always time out or disconnect. They never have a problem with it and it suits their needs.

I have installed it for a lot of people whose computers I work on and I never get any complaints. I personally don't like AOL, but if it works for you, use it. Kind of the same argument about buying a truck, there are people that swear by Ford, Chevy or Dodge, but there are just some trucks you couldn't pay me to drive.

RaVeN

Author: blford Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37084 of 189627
Subject: Re: "Free" AOL Date: 11/7/2002 12:22 PM

TIA,
Mick

Please ignore it Mick.

ßillƒ

Author: opie1313 One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37099 of 189627
Subject: Re: "Free" AOL Date: 11/7/2002 2:00 PM
Mick,

I think you've picked one of the classic dilemmas: to AOL or not to AOL. I largely agree with the criticisms of AOL in this thread. I think AOL has been making beds in a burning building these past two years. Many of their actions have been to shore up advertising revenue versus making a better product. Because of this, AOL truly has some annoying features. So why would you even consider it? Because AOL still has some unmatched features that put it squarely ahead of any competition. It just depends on what is important to you.

Those features of AOL that stand out revolve around its content and the community. No one even comes close to the content available in addition to the depth of chat rooms and discussions within its community. Like "NoIDatAll" said, it is a walled garden.

On the downside, AOL has the annoying features which you have read about in this thread which I won't repeat.

To make your decision easier, let me apply a silly (read: somewhat idiotic) example. Are you one of those people who hangs around at a backyard barbeque until the last beer is gone? If the answer is yes, then you probably would enjoy the AOL community and its content. There are plenty of discussion topics and ways to meet people with similar interest. There would be no shortage of discussions in fact. As well, there are plenty of ways to surf to different topics with your "buddies" online with its unmatched depth of content.

On the other hand, if you answered no to my example, then you probably would get annoyed with AOL's features. Getting online for a short five minutes is less appealing on AOL than a low-cost ISP or non-intrusive one like Earthlink. I am in this category. I have a low attention span. If I spend more than 15 minutes in the mall for example, I consider the outing a failure. I apply the same attitude towards the internet. However, I have seen AOL in action and am impressed with its features. It's just not for me.

Author: tqmbill Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37101 of 189627
Subject: Re: "Free" AOL Date: 11/7/2002 2:28 PM
Can somebody who uses AOL v.7 (in WinXP if it matters) give me the click sequence that will cause email replies to include the text of the original message in the reply?

Trying to help a computer non-savvy friend who uses AOL and I don't have it installed.

Thanks.

Author: NoIDAtAll Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37120 of 189627
Subject: Re: "Free" AOL Date: 11/7/2002 6:48 PM
Here ya' go, tqmbill:

... They do not include the prior message when replying. And, they do not provide a way for the user to change that default...

How AOL Users Can Include Prior Email

I am not an AOL user. This information has been courteously provided by other AOL users. If you have additional clarifications or suggestions, please email me. If you have similar tips for other email users, I would also love to hear from you.

To include the prior email in an AOL email reply:

"Select" all of the email you are replying to, either with your mouse or by placing the cursor in that email and typing Ctrl-A;

Then, after selecting all of this email, click to reply.
If you do it in this sequence, AOL will include the prior email in your reply.

http://www.jamesshuggins.com/h/web1/email_replies.htm

Author: tqmbill Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37139 of 189627
Subject: Re: "Free" AOL Date: 11/7/2002 11:57 PM
thanks, NoID

RDG

This policy of theirs is sufficient reason for me to not recommend aol to anyone!

Author: NoIDAtAll Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37148 of 189627
Subject: Re: "Free" AOL Date: 11/8/2002 7:11 AM
Recommendations: 0
This policy of theirs is sufficient reason for me to not recommend aol to anyone!

Yes, AOL's email editor is kind of sucky, especially for a company that has so many subscribers and that doesn't use POP mail servers. It's a rather simple, basic email editor. It gets the job done, but that's about it - and, if you read through the article that I linked, subscribers not knowing how to include original emails in their replies is sometimes a problem for mail recipients. They're supposed to be working on it. They need to work on it.

BTW: Have you ever used Eudora's email editor. If so, what's your impression of it versus Outlook?

Thanks,
Bob

Author: Wolfshead56 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37150 of 189627
Subject: Re: "Free" AOL Date: 11/8/2002 7:31 AM
If I knew anyone who wanted to use AOL I would tell them to get a regular ISP and use AOL's cut rate version without dialup so they could have access to AOL community but could have a regular email address. Maye they could use the AOL accounts for junk mail or as the mailbox they have to give out if they have to register to a site.

herb

Author: NoIDAtAll Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37153 of 189627
Subject: Re: "Free" AOL Date: 11/8/2002 8:02 AM
If I knew anyone who wanted to use AOL I would tell them to get a regular ISP and use AOL's cut rate version without dialup so they could have access to AOL community but could have a regular email address. Maye they could use the AOL accounts for junk mail or as the mailbox they have to give out if they have to register to a site.

That would be their BYOA "Bring Your Own Access" subscription service, I presume. (They also own a cutrate dialup access service, Compuserve, that competes in pricing with Juno and NetZero @ $9.95 per month.)

I think it would be reasonably accurate to describe AOL as the McDonalds of dialup ISPs. They recently started to rollout some interesting things - VOD for their broadband subscribers in New York city, and they (finally) are allowing multiple screen names to logon simultaneously under a single broadband account... good for households who have broadband access.

Author: kahunacfa Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37991 of 189627
Subject: Re: "Free" AOL Date: 11/22/2002 6:17 PM
I use AOL, reluctantly, at a volunteer job with SCORE (Service Corps of Retired Executives), and I have used it from time to time at home, but never for more than the free trial period. My regular ISP is MSN which I have had since August 1995. I have also tried EarthLink, but I do really like MSN the best.

KahunaCFA

PS I did really like the "free AOL" floppy disks - just a quick re-format and ZAP a free floppy! The CDROM disks are generally usless landfil!

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (18) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement