UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (47) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 25043  
Subject: Re: Jon Stewert on ID Date: 11/27/2007 7:58 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 26
"God" is not a scientific theory, and I feel no obligation to use the tools of science to explore the concept beyond what they can handle.

I think we can all agree with this. And since it is NOT a scientific theory it has NO PLACE in the science classroom. Thanks for coming around, Bryan! I knew it would happen eventually!

Now if we can just get those other radicals presently trying to force this non-scientific theory into the classroom to stop, everything will be peachy!

It only fits when you don't require any verification that such a thing could actually happen, but rather assume it.

We may not be able to witness the evolution of the toxin injector into the flagellum*. However, it is not unreasonable to infer it happened given that they differ only by a few proteins. In any event, this was never really intended as proof of evolution. Behe dragged it into the mix as proof of ID. Biologists simply have shown that it is not inconsistent with evolution, as Behe maintains it is. They are refuting his claim.

I really don't know how to change your perception of things.

Speaking only for myself, scientifically valid data is just about the only way to do it.

However, let me elaborate a bit on the "God is a screwup" angle. You may already realize this, but what's at issue here is the notion that 'God' is all-powerful, perfect, omniscient, omnipotent, etc, etc. If that is the case, then it doesn't make sense that he would design things with such obvious flaws. Stuff that human engineers would fix (if it was within their power to do so, of course). After all, he's GOD. It is inconsistent that he would have such design errors if he is truly GOD. And if he really did the best he could, then he's less than perfect and the typical notion of him flies out the window (along with the three major religions of the world today). You may question perceptions of the "flaws", but speaking as a physicist/engineer my perception is that they design could be improved. Yes, a lot of stuff works really well. But face it, we're kluge's.

Contrast this to a shark. Sharks are nearly perfect. If I was going to design a sea predator, that would be it. Streamlined, powerful, replacement teeth, does not get cancer (I knew a girl in grad school studying immunology, and her project was trying to figure out why sharks never get cancer), has enormously sensitive sensor arrays, etc. Based on the fossil record they have changed very little in 100M years (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shark#Evolution). They are nearly perfect. An engineering marvel. Perhaps God designed them in his own image(??).

1poorguy (...and "yes", if I were designing sharks I would make them smarter since that's the only thing they lack, but then they don't really seem to need much more intelligence than they have)

*I didn't witness the evolution of the Grand Canyon either, but I'm reasonably sure the Colorado River did it.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (47) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Clorox Isn't Cleaning Up
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement