UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: LordArthur Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 61151  
Subject: Re: Franken-Fish safe to eat? Date: 12/22/2012 10:07 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
"Good thing I only eat Fast Food.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/geneti......

Salmon that has been genetically engineered to grow twice as fast as its natural counterpart inched a little closer toward the nation’s dinner tables on Friday.

The Food and Drug Administration released its findings that the fish do not pose a threat to the environment and are “as safe as food from conventional Atlantic salmon." </snip> intercst

---------------------------

Some people grow twice as fast as their siblings. Reminds me of something an old farmer once said to my brother when he and I were out driving around down in Southeast Georgia looking at his beeyards. We stopped to talk to an old farmer that owned some land that my brother John kept bees on. John introduced me as his brother and the old farmer replied to me, "looks like you been pushing your brother away from the feed trough so you can hog all the food!"

While an undergraduate Animal Science major I took 4 Poultry Science classes as electives. I remember in one class the professor telling us that when they select broiler breeders, which are the chickens that lay the eggs that will grow up to be the chickens that on our dinner table, they don't select the baby chicks that are the heaviest or the biggest but the ones with the biggest appetites because they know that if that chicken eats, and has a healthy appetite they are going to grow. It's appetite, not size at birth, that dictates whether a chicken is going to be a fast grower. If it eats it's going to grow. When I was an undergraduate student back in the 1970's it took 8 weeks to grow up a chicken to frying size. Now they got it down to 6 and half weeks. In six and half weeks a little tiny chick grows up from the size of an egg to a 4 lb fryer. That is amazing.

I don't have a problem with eating "franken-fish." It's just a fish with growth genes that have been manipulated to grow fast. Not much different than a person like me who out-grew my older brother. I was just born with appetite genes that work in over-drive.

I consider all this hype about genetically modified food to be a bunch of hype. There has got to be some way to feed 7 billion people. The alternative is to let them starve. It's either grow and eat genetically modified food or there are going to be some hungry people in this world. There is a limited amount of arable land in the world. We've got to figure out other ways to feed these people, especially the poor and dispossessed, and genetically manipulating food is just a fancy way of speeding up evolution to work in our favor.

Art
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Netflix Riles Investors
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement