UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: eaflash Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75383  
Subject: "GULP" Date: 12/16/2000 5:43 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Now i am REALLY getting nervous-I am mid 50's and HAD a Roth IRA of $600,000(now $400,000) consisting of "unit investment trusts(tech stocks)", a Seligman fund and a 3 Star MSDW Dividend Growth Fund. Friday the MSDW fund dropped 7.4%($23,000). The drop in value of the entire portfolio is since it's highest in March.

I also HAD a taxed portfolio OF $700,000(NOW $475,000) WHICH JUST HAD MY vAN kAMPEM EMERGONG gROWTH DROP[21%), over $20,000.

Is this just end of year selling done by my fund managers? It seems like a big drop in one day-I'm calling my broker Monday(yes, this fool still has a broker) to find out what is what, but, as i said..I'm really getting nervous now.

I'd like some input from you foolish experts..and I guess some handholding, if appropiate...or an honest, outside assessment of where i am and what to do.

My inclination is to hold on and ride it out, but I have been doing that(as we all have, I know)

eaflash
Print the post Back To Top
Author: intercst Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 26654 of 75383
Subject: Re: "GULP" Date: 12/16/2000 5:55 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
eaflash asks,

Now i am REALLY getting nervous-I am mid 50's and HAD a Roth IRA of $600,000(now $400,000) consisting of "unit investment trusts(tech stocks)", a Seligman fund and a 3 Star MSDW Dividend Growth Fund. Friday the MSDW fund dropped 7.4%($23,000). The drop in value of the entire portfolio is since it's highest in March.

I also HAD a taxed portfolio OF $700,000(NOW $475,000) WHICH JUST HAD MY vAN kAMPEM EMERGONG gROWTH DROP[21%), over $20,000.

Is this just end of year selling done by my fund managers? It seems like a big drop in one day-I'm calling my broker Monday(yes, this fool still has a broker) to find out what is what, but, as i said..I'm really getting nervous now.

I'd like some input from you foolish experts..and I guess some handholding, if appropiate...or an honest, outside assessment of where i am and what to do.

What kind of fees are you paying on these funds? If it's more than the 0.18% of assets per year that Vanguard charges on an index fund you're getting hosed. See the following article "Are your mutual fund fees so high you can't retire?"

http://www.geocities.com/WallStreet/8257/mtretire.html

intercst

Author: MVICK1 One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 26656 of 75383
Subject: Re: "GULP" Date: 12/16/2000 7:18 PM
Recommendations: 1
eaflash,

I agree with the recomendation to ditch your funds and move to good no load family, such as Vanguard.

With regards to the big drops on Friday, are you certain that the funds did not make distributions, which would initially make it look like they lost a load on Friday?

Author: JLC Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 26665 of 75383
Subject: Re: "GULP" Date: 12/17/2000 6:37 PM
Recommendations: 1
In addition to the previous excellent comments, WHO CARES? What I mean is, if this is money NOT needed for 5 years or less, don't worry. The chances are in your favor that you'll make it back and then some in that time frame. However, if you were determined to retire next year, you goofed.

JLC

Author: eaflash Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 26679 of 75383
Subject: Re: "GULP" Date: 12/18/2000 1:24 PM
Recommendations: 0
thanks for your input-the funds had split actvity that dropped the price, and ,of course, increased the # of shares, so it was a wash-being the first year that I have had access to the capabilty to monitor these funds, that precipitous drop floored me.

I'm feeling a little better today.

eaflash

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement