UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: HMALETTER Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1957063  
Subject: Re: Girl who performed at inauguration killed Date: 1/31/2013 7:45 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
"Gun violence in Chicago has been in the national spotlight over the past year, with 506 murders in 2012, an increase of 17 percent over the previous year. So far in January, there have been 42 homicides and 157 shootings, according to Chicago police.

Obama spokesman Jay Carney was asked about Pendleton's death Wednesday. He said the prayers of the president and the first lady were with the girl's family.

"The president has more than once, when he talks about gun violence in American, referred not just to the horror of Newtown or Aurora or Virginia Tech or Oak Creek, but to shootings on the corner in Chicago and other parts of the country," said Carney. "And this is just another example of the problem that we need to deal with."
"

Stop. No Jay, it's not "just another example", it's a prime example of the Primary problem we have to deal with.

If America had a Gun Problem, it would be a pretty easy subject to discuss. However, in areas with the most guns, and the weakest gun laws, their is no gun problem per se. In many areas where gun laws are very strict, there exists a huge gun problem.

But, as everyone knows, and tapdances around, we don;t have a gun problem. While I hate using people as numbers, statistics show that the number of killings per 100,000 people has remained fairly constant for decades. Now I hate to use numbers to depict people murdered, but that's the case.

Now we do have a huge problem with gun violence, and violence in general, in some areas of the country. The increase in killings amongst groups aged early teens and up is enormous, and quite alarming. This story is just another sad reminder of such senseless tragedies. In Chicago.

The alarmists would have you believe it's a nationwide problem, sweeping suburbia and beyond. It's not. Yes, there are several instances of mass shootings over the past two decades that are sad and bothersome. But the killings in cities like Detroit and Chicago are extremely alarming, and daily.

I'm not about to become a rabid NRA member and tout the Second Amendment and show how guns are great. I have no skin in that game. But by and large, their arguments taken in context are correct. We have a President that has addressed these problems politically, and has offered up some fairly sane, yet complex and tedious means of addressing the problems.

I've actually admired the way the Obama's live their lives, at least publicly, and I commend them for being a good First Family. Quite refreshing from the political world of scandals and such. But I do agree with all the folks saying "The Time Is Now". Yes, indeed, the time is now for the President and other leaders to address the Realproblems with gun violence, and to focus their attention on the small percentage of the country that has adopted killing as a way of life.

I live in a state where the gun ownership is HUGE. We also have the lowest gun crime rate in the country, well below 1%. This is a common sense issue, which begs for non-political solutions.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Apple

Apple and Ninety Years Ago
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement