Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
"Heh, at least for the first 20 years. We figure our kids will take it over when we are in our 70's and need a place that has better access to stores, medical and culture. Or we will simply turn it into a vacation rental and get income from it."

My parents had a nice place they spent about 4-5 months a year on Lake George, NY.....

It had a million dollar view down the lake, a nice swimmable beach (rare for this lake which has usually very sharp drop offs at the shore)....and it was right on the lake front. You'd walk out the bathroom door and be at the water's edge in 70 feet or less.

Nice dock. My dad had a power boat...and later got a sail boat.

My mom and dad enjoyed it...they retired to there and spent the winters in FL in a mobile home in the smallest incorporated municipality in FL...between the intercoastal and Atlantic ocean. Lots going on....lots of clubs, activities....and you could literally walk everywhere other than the food store and doc offices. It was a big social club ......

Anyway, my dad liked getting 'away' from it all. Up north...the nearest decent food store was 17 miles.....and a better one was a 45 minute drive south 'over' the mountain....and it was 35 miles. They'd go buy groceries once a week and do other errands like Home depot..then back home....took a day to do it all.......

Nearest movie theater - one screen - 17 miles. 2 night s a week and usually a horror type flick...

Nearest restaurant - one - 9 miles.....

Nearest place to buy a newspaper - 3 miles or so......

After my dad died (13 years in retirement after moving there)....I'd take my mom up there for the summer....she'd do OK..but she would have to drive to get food, visit doc. She did OK....but she was in her 70s...she was reaching the point she couldn't take care of the place and drive well enough to stay there..

AFter my mom died, my sister got the house...as part of the inheritance. Naturally I was invited to visit, even when she wasn't there. She worked until she was 65 1/2.........she mainly got up there for a couple weeks of vacation and holidays.

Well...it bored the heck out of me. When you are in paradise....million dollar view....it doesn't take long to get your fill of view. Or go in the canoe by yourself. You don't run into people causally in most cases to 'do things'....and the nearest places to eat are mostly 17 miles away. It's real quiet at night...nice if you like that, but I get lots of quiet at home.

Well, about three days of being in paradise (no cable TV....3 stations....)......watching a few DVDs....reading a book or two.....it was time to move on .....you can only go swimming so many times a day and not really fun by yourself. If you are up there during the summer, there's some free music concerts in town (17 miles up to Ticonderoga)....or maybe something down in Saratoga Springs - 50 mile drive each way...... but.....it wasn't my thing.

My dad loved it. He'd putter around in the garage all day....maybe fix a few things....work in the yard/garden a bit...my mom had a garden.....

but after a while, the motor boat didn't get used unless visitors showed up....and they get a tour of the lake or go water skiing....

and with the sailboat..he used it a lot the first few years...then it got to be a hassle..an hour to get it set (uncovered, etc, sails up - it was a 24 foot one, self righting.....then you'd go sailing early morning or late afternoon..wind died in middle of day .....maybe be out an hour or two...then another 1-2 hours cleaning the boat, furling the sails and covering them, covering the boat....bringing in the life preservers to the garage...and taking it out to the mooring spot - you'd get wet...... and there was more work just getting set to go, and after sailing..than there was sailing...and you only had so many options on routes to go sailing....

After 7 years he sold the sailboat too.....

A lot of stuff is only fun if you have family NEARBY that will constantly use it....

My sis and family go hiking. She likes it there. My BIL likes it there..... but I think my sis gets restless there which is only reason she didn't retire sooner......she liked the social aspect of a job....the interaction.

I'm not sure how well she'll do there...and hubby came down with pancreatic cancer.... 95% faultily rate in 2 years....so she might be alone up there.....the kids and the one grandkid will visit...but they have their own life and its a 4 hour trip for them. We'll see how that goes. She loves the place...but I'm not sure how she'll do in the isloation

After summer (July 4th to Labor Day) all the summer people go home. It gets REAL quiet. Most of the activities cease. Folks begin to stash in the firewood for their wood stoves for the winter up there - the natives....it gets to 30 below with a foot of ice on the lake at times. 8 foot snow drifts around the house, too....

So we will see what transpires.

I'd never live that far in the boonies again. Did in VA....5 acres of land on a ridge crest, 2 miles in off a paved road on a gravel road....it was8 miles to the nearest convenience /gas store....30 minute trip .....and 17 miles to work...and 20 miles to the movies and most restaurants of any kind, including fast food. I liked it at the time, but even then I felt a bit isolated....you just didn't run out to visit a friend...that was the better part of 45 minutes to get there, unless it was right after work. Enjoyed it...and the view - 75 miles of Blue Ridge mountains.....but I was 40 at the time. I'd think real hard about doing that again. Real hard.....and probably not do it.

I'm not good at 'entertaining myself'. I like my clubs....I like the gym.....I like eating out a few times a week and breakfast with my friend John....and with the local radio group on Sat mornings ....and all the activities around...music clubs, radio clubs, etc....

Of course, I'm getting to be 68....I'm retired. I can go off an recreate all I want anywhere in the country.....mountains...ocean....and I do travel 30,000 miles a year.....my house is 'home base' at times.....

each to his/her own.

t.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement