UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (33) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: ariechert Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 749121  
Subject: Re: Poll: Should andrew become a Baron of Sealan Date: 10/15/2012 6:54 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
"hey that was a great site art...i looked up my last name and saw when they settled in Va. never seen that before...something to add to my genealogy file for further research." - LD

It wouldn't let me copy and paste but did you see the part where it said that there were no hard and fast rules about spelling so scribes would write the names how they sounded to them so you can't go just by how we spell our names now? There were a plethora of ways they spelled "Riechert" so now when I research my geneaology I can't stick to just one spelling.

My paternal great grandfather was illiterate till he was 21 years old. He didn't learn to read and write till he broke his leg one year when he was working down in New Orleans as a steveadore. A nice lady took care of him and nursed him back to health and while he was laid up she taught him to read and write. So he didn't know how to write his name till he learned to read and write. So the way we spell it now is just the way it appeared on a land document up in Northern Minnesota for a couple of acres of land so he and his wife could build a log cabin.

By the way that was the cabin my dad grew up in in Grand Rapids, Minnesota. My dad was adopted by his grandmothere. My father grew up thinking his grandmother was his mother. He was the product of incest between a half sister/half brother. The "uncle" who was 35 years old essentially raped his 15 year old half sister and got her pregnant. Everybody in town knew it. What is strange is my father was a genius, literally. He was a biochemical research sales engineer for Liquid Carbonic and he invented a whole bunch of stuff including ways to freeze individually flash frozen food - which we buy in just about every grocery store now.

Art
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (33) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Ringing the NASDAQ Bell
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement