UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 60042  
Subject: Re: Google Fiber Date: 11/24/2012 6:16 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
"Hi Tele
Just out of curiosity, would you be willing to reveal how much Verizon FIOS costs you?"

t: It's $104 a month for the 'triple play' which is phone line, basic internet (like 3 meg/sec), and cable TV.....

I don't buy any extra cable channels like HBO or Cinemax or others.

Then add on about 25% in taxes and fees.

It comes with a wi-fi enabled router.

I got my main PC and I can add on all the devices I want. I have an old PC, a new Samsung Tab......both come up on the wi-fi

------------

"Are you completely satisfied with it?"

It's pretty good. It slows down every now and then...not sure if local congestion or what.

Otherwise, it works....

--------

"Is it their hardwire option?"

Fiber comes to the house. I saw them put it in.

I got a PC hooked up if that is what you mean. INside the house it's coax cable and CAT 5 and quad wire to the phone using existing phone house wires. I got 4 phones on it.

--------

t: I have a 2g/month data plan for my Samsung Tab.....for when I'm not in the house or near wi-fi. Seldom go over a 100 meg. just use it while traveling ....maybe 100 days a year at most. $20/month. Plus of course 25% in taxes and fees

-------

" the 4G LTE is NOT very good. It is a frustrating system... so much so that I finally switched the iPad and the Phone off of 4G LTE and am using the 3G function. It is 'good enough'."

t: Wow...you gave up the 'faster' better gee-whiz system that eats up battery power and missed out on all those super fast programs? You just demonstrated that until there is a need for 'faster speed' most people don't need it, want it or are willing to pay for it.

-------

"Why do I keep it? I am 'home independent' - free from any geographic location. Part of my job is online. I've used the tablet and the phone for WORK needs, in the local wifi hotpots that have popped up all over Mexico and Central America. Wifi hot spots are far more ubiquitous outside the US than here in Tx, therefore I feel the need for the personal hot spot function."

t: Great....I'm retired so I don't have that 'work function' to worry about......and sometimes even with wi-fi hot spots, you are better off logging in direct - get better speeds and much better security...

--------

"The hot spot makes me 100% mobile. My 'home' has become 'where ever I am'. This 'home-independent' is a feeling that is, I suspect, akin to being 'financially independent', ... perhaps a subset?"

t: My Tab with 2 gig data plan does the same. I seldom use it at home...use the big PC with the 24 inch monitor. A whole lot easier to use....much easier to type anything, and my tired eyes don't enjoy squinting at the smaller screen, and the different view screen you see on smart phones.

------

t: BTW, I own a slug of Verizon and AT&T stock , so please..y'all keep signing up for and using all them expensive dataplans, high speed internet, all those cable channels and movies on demand.....I love it when the dividends hit the bank account every 3 months.....

t.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Smuggling Rice and Garlic
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement