Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Lokicious Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121061  
Subject: Re: Mutual Funds Gains Date: 3/21/2001 12:10 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
"How are gains and losses calculated for an after tax mutual fund?
Let's say I buy 50 shares of "MUTX" at $10 per share, which equates to an outlay of $500. Then as the year goes along, I receive dividends of $100 which are automatically re-invested into the mutual fund.
When I sell the shares, let's say I have 53.65 shares and the price per share is $12. I know the $100 of dividends I received are taxed as ordinary income. But, how do I figure the gains/losses since the dividends were re-invested causing the number of shares to go up. It would be easy to figure out if the dividends were not reinvested.
Hope I didn't confuse anyone. I guess I should just stay with stocks or not re-invest the dividends."

You're getting yourself in a tizzy for nothing. You just need to keep good records and be willing to do a little arithmetic.

1) Annual dividends and short term capital gains taxes generated by the fund, even if reinvested, are reported as ordinary income. Any long term capital gains generated annually by the fund are reported as long term gains. (How much and what kind of taxable distributions depend on the fund; some are tax efficient, others not.)

2) Your reinvested gains and dividends buy new shares in the fund, which will be at a different cost basis than your original purchase. You need to keep track of this from your annual statements, but it's simple accounting. I would keep a list, updated annually, in addition to keeping all the annual statements as a cross check.

3) When you sell, it depends on how you sell. If you sell the whole fund at once, you will have to calculate your average cost basis from your original shares and subsequent reinvestment of dividends. If you've held the fund for a while, this will mostly be long term capital gains, but the most recent (less than a year) reinvested gains, presuming the fund's net asset value has gone up in the interim, will produce short term capital gains.

4) If you choose to sell a bit of the fund at a time, the most tax eficient way if to sell those shares purchased at the highest price (least capital gains). You have to explicitly designate those shares to your broker or it is presumed first-in, first-out. If you choose to cost average, you're stuck cost averaging from then on.

Anyway, make your decisions about what to do with dividends based on finance (i.e., is this fund where you want to put the money?) not on fears of record keeping and arithmetic.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement