No. of Recommendations: 0
"How easy is it to manage your own funds and anyone have good suggestion for getting educated on this process. "

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
How easy.
And how to get educated.

TMF boards are set up :

http://boards.fool.com/

and have areas like "Investing Strategies", "Financial Planning", "Learning to Invest"
and several others. There are people on some of the boards that are really
clever folks.
Then you find folks like me who do not know more than you know more often than not.
Local colleges generally have classes that go into the financial planning areas.
There are legions of books that discuss the topic.

But easy?
My first thought is that - yes it can be easy if you like the field. But I am
finding as I get along in years that there are sometimes better ways of spending
your time than managing investments and figuring cash-flows - adjusting budgets -
following companies - filling our proxies.
And then I think that if I am managing my investments - but my DW is not as
interested - what happens if I pass or an hospitalized?

So , think about what you really want to do - but should you decide to proceed -
there are no-load mutual funds and low-fee fund families (Vanguard is one that is
frequently mentioned) - there are low-fee on-line investment companies. You can buy
government bonds directly (TIPs).
A lot depends on what you enjoy and how much time you want to dedicate to the exercise.

Good luck. I suggest asking at one or more of the retirement boards where there are
more frequent visitors -

http://boards.fool.com/retirement-discussions-10054.aspx

Howie52
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement