Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (16) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Plato90s Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 203313  
Subject: Re: The mystery that is Apple Retail Date: 12/30/2002 8:12 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
"However (you knew that word was coming, admit it), all manufacturing companies that operate retail centers will manipulate the COGS to it's various units however they feel like doing it. It's one of the big things they teach you in managerial (aka, cost) accounting. As for tax smoothing, it's another one of the big things you learn when you get an accounting degree and it goes hand in hand with manipulating the COGS. The governments of the world have caught onto the little trick and companies can now work with the IRS (I believe other countries taxing authorities are starting to do the same) to come up with acceptable costing methods for the companies to work with and not be fined. In other words, what you are pointing out as an Apple accounting trick is actually standard practice among all businesses.

Agent "

Yes, I'm sure that accountants know how to manipulate the numbers. Arthur Anderson helped Enron do it, and Worldcom did it without the assistance of external accountants.

That doesn't change the fact that these companies are giving investors a false impression of the viability of their business by number manipulation.

This is why I find the British system of financial accounting preferable, because they don't use precise guidelines which can then be narrowly interpreted then manipulated.

One might argue that it's equally "standard practice" for company insiders to manipulate stock prices, grant options, and exercise them based on insider information. That doesn't mean that the behavior should be excused or overlooked.

"As I noted a few days ago, nobody will ever give Apple credit for its retail segment working in its favor... though I didn't expect Plato to jump on that bandwagon quite so quickly.

http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=18298085

Paul "

The point I am trying to make is that the "numbers" will continue to look good because the "numbers" Apple present to investors have only a tenuous link to the reality of how well Retail is actually doing. It's not operational excellency or marketing genius propelling Retail to profitability - it's the manipulating of expense allocation.

If Apple had to account for the Retail segment as a completely separate entity, with all operational, marketing, and capital costs being accounted for separately, Retail wouldn't even be close to profitability.

Retail is profitable in the same way a dot-com was viable - only on paper.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (16) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Preparing For the End of the World
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement