Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
"I am considering an offer on employment that will take me out of the self employed category. Can I contribute to a SEP IRA and participate in the employers 401k during the transition year?"

Yes. I did it when I made that transition a few years back.
Of course, your SEP contributions are based only on your self employment income and your 401K contributions only on your salary. You have been calculating your SEP contributions figuring you would be paying your own Social Security. Your new employer will start taking Social Security as if you had no income and had made no contributions thus far this year. This change may allow you to put a little more in your SEP and might alter the amount needed for estimated taxes. You can make the adjustment with your September quarterly estimate; or you can increase withholding so you don't have to make a September quarterly estimate.
Congratulations on the new job!
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.