No. of Recommendations: 0
"I am finding the management of my discout brokerage stock portfolio tedious, and feel a monthy contribution to a DRIP or no-load would more suit my lifestyle, but I somehow can't resist thinking the inheritance allows me to take on the additional risk trying of trying to hit an occasional "homerun".
Anybody got'ny ideas?"

Mr. Pak:

I'll give you my .02 FWIW. Couple of years ago I decided that it was time to learn investing, because after all, ten years or so from now I will have sold my company, and maybe inherited some (we must have the same rich uncle) and I'll be sitting on piles of cash.

So to become skilled before I had all of these resources, I began investing. Now I'm much too impetuous to paper trade - this would of course mean that ALL MY PROFITS would be on paper, and that just won't do.

AND, I found all of these people that were talking on the Internet about GETTING RICH RIGHT AWAY with stock in companies that make Gallium Arsenide Diodes in Israel, and such things. Heck, the stock had already gone from .30 to $3.00 ! Jeez, if I had only done this 9 months ago I'd have a ten bagger! I couldn't type fast enough to borrow 4 grand from my kids college fund and BUY IN DAMMIT!

And that was so much fun that, with all my new found on-line friends, I bought several more cool companies that do things like make xrays of engine blocks. Heck, when a stock is only sixty cents, you CAN OWN A BUNDLE!

Then I found out why they are called Penny Stocks. After my purchase $3.50/shr purchase eased on down to seven cents, well you start getting the idea.

But hey, nothing ventured nothing gained. I had bought Microsoft at (split adjusted) $45, so I'm not totally stupid (however I almost sold my MSFT to buy the penny stock, and had I done so I would be typing to you from GraveNet). Just got in with a bad crowd, and bought some stupid stuff. Not my neighbor's fault that his high tech company's stock went from $52 to 3, but it is too bad that I bought some at $19.

I'm in the software industry, buy what you know! Oracle is the best damn database in the business. It's off its 52 week high by 20%, earnings are coming out soon and some guys on-line say it's gonna be good. Proud new owner of Oracle at $35. Wow, what is it going to be next year when I sell it to build my pool?

Can you say $18? That's what it was 5 weeks later.

It was about then that I picked up TMFIG.

You want to own individual stocks and hit a home run? You better go to batting practice. That means doing the research. Which means taking the time.

Otherwise, you might as well try to hit a Nolan Ryan fast ball.

TMFIG has several strategies that lead to long term wealth creation without much time and effort (at least historically). Forget the home run. Unless you want to buy some of my Israeli Semiconductor stock, which is available at a sale price this week only.

To Pixy's list of recommended reading, let me add one: The Millionaire Next Door. That's how Joe6Pak gets rich. Good luck.

Bob.

PS: The on-line folks I mentioned were NOT fools at fool.com, whom I have found to be very realistic, measured and helpful.
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement