Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (58) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: NoHorses3 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 40403  
Subject: "I Can.... Date: 8/30/2008 4:32 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 15
serve her a great breakfast for under a dollar, and start my day saving money." Parade newspaper insert, Aug 31, 2008 inside back page (our's comes a day early). Full page ad for WalMart listing 3 items for a kid's breakfast.

WalMart's idea of what a kid should eat for breakfast:

l. Minute Maid Kids Plus Orange Juice--32 cents, 8 oz (it's been ultra-fortified with vitamins A, C, D, E, B, B3, B6, folate, magnesium and calcium.

2. Pillsbury Cinnamon Roll with Cream Cheese Icing--24 cents (ingredients, hold yer horses...enriched flour (bleached wheat flour, niacin, ferrous sulfate, thiamin mononitrate, riboflavin, folic acid), water, sugar, partially hydrogenated soybean and cottonseed oil, dextrose, wheat starch, baking powdder, dried cream cheese (cream, milk, nonfat milk, whey, cheese cultures, salt, enzymes) with tocopherels and ascorbyl palmitate added to protect flavor, salt, cinnamon, corn starch, corn syrup solids, mono and diglycerides, cellulose gum, natural and artificial flavor, potassium sorbate (preservative), polysonbate 60, yellow 5, red 40.

3. Yoplait Kids Yogurt (they show a cup with Trix on the side)--42 cents (ingredients for the strawberry-banana bash flavor...cultured, paserized Grad A reduced fat milk, sugar, high fructose corn syrup, modified corn starch, whey protein concentrate, nonfat milk, kosher gelatin, citric acid, natural and artificial flavor, potassium sorbate added for freshness, red #40, yellow #5, Vitamin A acetate, Vitamin D3. (note: anyone see any mention of strawberries and banana on the ingredient list? Oh, wait...they must be hidden in that natural and artificial flavor).

DH challenged me to do better. I told him I could....

1. 1/2 cup Kashi 7 Whole Grain Cereal--22 cents (ingredients: Blend (Whole Grain, Hard Red Winter Wheat, Long Grain Brown Rice, Oats, Barley, Triticale, Rye, Buckwheat, Sesame Seeds), long grain white rice, evaporated cane juice, barley malt syrup, wheat bran, oat fiber, brown rice syrup, salt (I chose this cereal as most grocery stores carry it)

2. 1/2 banana--15 cents (on top of cereal if desired)

3. 1/4 cup raisins--10 cents (on top of cereal if desired)

4. 1/2 cup organic skim or whole milk (Stoneyfield)--23 cents

5. 1 tablespoon pecans--5 cents

6. 1/2 cup orange juice (not fortified)--19 cents

Total cost 94 cents. Healthier and a lot faster to type the ingredient list :-)

Nancy
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (58) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Why is Everyone Still Earnings-Obsessed?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement