UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (34) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 61427  
Subject: Re: Poll: retirement income Date: 10/3/2012 10:30 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
"I can't remember who posted it but I seem to recall a post that said something to the effect that a large number of retirees living in Florida were living pretty much on social security? Maybe they meant like married couples with two social security checks?

I saw a fairly nice modest mobile home in Florida in a retirement village for like $20,000 plus a $450/month lot fee. If you got a swimming pool, game room, other old folks to talk to, it might not be so bad. "

---

My parents had a 800 sq foot manufactured home in Briny Breezes. IT sold for 40K in 2000 after my mom died. At the time it was about 12 years old in nice shape.

IT costs about $6500 a year to live there....3500 to the 'park' to maintain all the roads and they cut the trees down and cleaned up ...the had a heated pool.....rec center /auditorium, 3 club buildings with big wood shop, an 'ocean house' right on the atlantic, you could rent a boat slip if you wanted a boat - they were between the ocean and the intercoastal. the $3500 included police protection, taxes, etc.

Add it about 2000 a year for insurance (home and flood insurance).....

Utlities in the fall/winter/spring were low.....

you really didn't need a car other than for grocery shopping or doc appointments.my mom drove 600 miles a winter......

the cable was included in your 3500 a year park fee.

You could, and some did, live there year round. Hot in summer...

Many escaped north to similar type places.....for six months.....

Yes, a lot of folks live in FL for 25,000 or 30,000 a year.....comfy...

they had a five minute walk to the ocean.....

had shuffle board courts and tennis courts, and had arrangements for those who wanted to play golf to use an exclusive course a few times a week at reasonable price..

there were boating and fishing clubs, drama clubs, garden clubs, wood shop, etc. Exercise classes in the pool - aerobics......

over 55 and the kids and grandkids arrived for thanksgiving, xmas, new years.....

t
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (34) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Apple

Microsoft Admits Defeat and Wins?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement