No. of Recommendations: 10
"I don't want him/her to have the burden of student loans". Then they paid for lavish weddings for their children so that "the kids can get lots of gifts and have a good start". They then gave the kids money for a down payment on a house or bought them a car. All without any concern about the fact that they weren't saving for their own retirement.

I didn't know that you knew my sister-in-law.

You know how the recipients of these large weddings, the free college, and the free house down-payment consider them.

As found money. Which they treat as just that. Money that fell from the sky, so no particular reason to treat it with respect.

One kid had the lavish wedding, and the marriage barely lasted until the wedding photos got delivered.

One kid got the free down payment, and a couple years later decided to sell the house and buy another one. They sold the first at a loss, but they didn't care, because the only money they had put into it was the monthly payments. Since the down payment was not their money, they didn't care if it got lost.
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement