Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
.."I just wish I could still run with Dixie too, she's a bit too old, tired and arthritic now to get much fun out of it...."

My heart aches for Dixie. I have been doing long distance running with my dogs on the green belt around Austin for many years, and have sadly watched as first, a beloved Lab and later, my first and awesome Rhodesian Ridgeback passed away of old age, and then as another elderly Rhodesian has developed too much arthritis to effectively run with me any more. On the other hand, my two 9 month old Viszla puppies have extraordinary energy and seemingly can run forever - they'd rather still play and hate to get into the back of the SUV after a 12 or 13 mile run, whereas I'm feeling fairly spent. And we can still honor the arthritic Ridgeback by taking him to the dog park to socialize along with the pups later in the day.

I highly recommend running with your dogs if they are large enough and have the cardiovascular capacity to handle it. You don't have to make a commitment for a specific time and place (as you do with your friends) and the continuous smiles on their faces make it a far more rewarding experience than running on your own. In our family tradition, we stop at the local Taco Cabana or Wendy's for fahitas or burgers for them afterward (as opposed to me just getting my super-sized Diet Coke).

Regards,
Roc
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement