Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
"I mailed in my taxes, and three days later in limped a 1099 I didn't even know I had to look for. (It was a Lost Funds claim from New York). It was for a whopping total of $7.99"

So probably 28% of that, if that's your bracket, belongs to the IRS and less to the state.
Proper is to file form 1040X and amend your return. You only fill in what is changed; take you 5-10 minutes if you have your copy of 1040 in hand.
Will they catch it? Yes.
If you want to wait for them to tell you that you owe another couple bucks, fine.
Best wishes, Chris
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.