No. of Recommendations: 0
"I suggest finding a community of like-minded and like-valued people (e.g., a church), and being rather open-minded about allowing serendipity to take its course from a relatively high-quality short list from which almost all of the people on the list would be reasonable outcomes. Marrying someone sensible that shares your values really reduces the friction of life over the long term."
------------------
"Worked out okay for Art." - Mike

---------------------------------------

Way back in June, 1982 when Bonnie asked me if I wanted to move to Tennessee I had a job I liked as the manager of the Uni. of GA School of Pharmacy animal facilities. It was a little facility on the roof of the Pharmacy school. I had two employees. It was a really sweet deal.

I don't know what I was thinking. I guess moving to Tennessee sounded like an adventure; and I didn't realize it was going to be for the rest of my life. I thought I'd be able to fish and swim in all the lakes surrounding Knoxville, TN and it was going to be like a 5 year vacation. I don't know what I was thinking.

When we first moved to Knoxville I had a difficult time finding a job I liked and I ended up cutting meat at a little IGA near our house. I did that for a year and half till I got hired on as the Coordinator for the Animal Facilities for the University of Tennessee College of Veterinary Medicine. That was in the fall of 1983. So it took me over a year to get a "real" job with benefits and leave time.

What was amazing to me was that the job at the UT Vet School paid less than what I had made at the University of Georgia managing a facility that was much much smaller with a whole lot less animals and employees. But I was desperate at that point to get a job with benefits so I didn't argue and I just jumped at the chance to be working with live animals again.

So here I am 31 years later, retired, house husband, and still in Tennessee and I have a sneaking suspicion that we'll be living right here till they carry me out of here feet first in a body bag.

Art
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement