UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (52) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1956904  
Subject: Re: Manhattan Project for Electrical Storage Date: 12/2/2012 11:45 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
"I suppose I'm hedging because I'm skeptical. We think of the Manhattan Project as being intensely difficult. I'm thinking doing something that has never been done before may be easier than doing something that has been done for a century 25 times better."

Heh heh....

That's like imagining your gas car should get five times the gas mileage by having a crash program to improve auto gas engine efficiency.......

Already a billion dollars has been thrown at LiON batteries. So far, there have been massive spectacular failures of lots of 'promising new technologies.

Toyota is now working on Manganese batteries.......two different routes...as it forsees lithium ion batteries at a 'dead end'.

Wishing for something and actually getting it are two different things.

Let's see...Bill Gates wanted 50 buck PCs for the 3rd world. so far, despite billions in research, they haven't invented the 50 dollar PC yet...........

It might happen...it might not. Technology doesn't always do what you want. Heck, we should make refrigerators 5 times more efficient..same for home air conditioning which sucks up massive amounts of power. how about windows five times better? It just takes money, right?

How about cars that are five times safer? Totally computerized cars so you don't ever crash? And we'll convert all of them to that in five years!...just takes money and having the government mandate it, right?

now what if someone does invent a better battery? And they want to charge $1000 royalty per battery pack? Will they be allowed to do it? Is MSFT still raking in billions on its 'Windows'? Or will the government confiscate it? or they only allow it to be made in China?........

The government has wasted lots of money on trying to push technology..... let's see...probably 50 billion on ADA...the programming language to fix all programming problems...that went on for 10 years until it eventually died on its own...but not until causing massive problems.

Why would any company want anything to do with 'government sponsored research' when it would lose all the ability to profit from it?

t.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (52) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Nu Skin Showing its Age?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement