UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: ariechert Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 61965  
Subject: Re: Poll: out of the workforce Date: 12/11/2012 10:02 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 5
"I was out of the workforce several times: + 4 years for college (worked over summers and had a work-study job). + 9.5 years as a SAHM (I quit my job when I got pregnant...you sure don't hear about that sort of thing any more!) ~ 6 years part-time (25-30 hrs/week). + 10 years for early retirement (quit just before my 56th birthday). And...
Once I quit my job to take a 4-month camping trip. Another time I took 3 months off to move and get married.Let's face it...I'm a slacker! (I did work hard when I was, you know, actually at work ;-) - alstromeria

--------------------

When employers decide to let you go, fire you, lay you off, they don't have any qualms about it. When the shoe is on the other foot they don't hesitate to throw your life into chaos. They don't care. Why should we care about them when opportunities come in life to either change direction or do something more interesting or fun?

I've never worked anywhere where they really gave a shit about me. They paid me as little as they could and got rid of me when they didn't need me anymore.

After working at the University of Tennessee Vet School for seventeen years I thought I was part of it; and that I'd easily be able to ride it out for another 7 years till I turned 55. That didn't happen. When they wanted to get rid of me it all turned around in the blink of an eye. So much for them loving me. There was no love. It was just another job.

Art
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Saul's Investing Discussions

Why Did I Buy a Bunch of PFIE Today?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement