No. of Recommendations: 0
"I wouldn't go anywhere near Indonesia, nor Philippines."

Indonesia and the Philippines are not all that bad if you are aware of how things are in those countries and are careful.

I live pretty close to New York City and as I began to travel, I discovered that there were some people (many who lived elsewhere within the USA) that were positively frightened of New York City especially during the 1980's when the crime rate was much higher but I never really was afraid of New York City as many people.

Some guy from a small town in Alabama for instance might be positively frightened in New York City and probably for good reason. They probably do not know the do's and don't s of being in New York and would probably find themselves in trouble in short order.

It is the same with Indo....If you know the do's and don't s then you will probably not have problems in Indonesia.....but if you don't pay attention and think you are just taking a pleasant stroll around your local hangout, then you can run into trouble real quick.

For instance, Jakarta has a reputation of being a wild nightlife spot and Jakarta does have a active nightlife http://www.indonesia-holidays.com/jakarta/nightlife.htm

They have a club in Jakarta called the Stadium http://www.stadiumjakarta.com/profile.html which is a huge and popular night club. What, you don't believe Jakarta is probably among the biggest big time party spots in Asia because it is a Islamic country???

LOL...Well, that is just a prejudiced view point by a someone that has never stepped foot in Jakarta. This is why I usually ask people..."How do you know that???" "Have you been there?" "Have you experienced it?" Usually the answer is "no".....So then I ask, "Well, then how do you know for sure?"

The thing is that these types don't know for sure....they are only assuming things. They must think they are Muad'Dib http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Atreides or something.

Well, to all of the aspiring Muad'Dib s here is just one persons view of what going to The Stadium in Jakarta is like:

"Whats your view on Stadium hightclub in the kota area of Jakarta?

It has a bad reputation as being dangerous. Me and a friend spent eight nights in there back in April and both of us think the place is unbelievable. Yes theres loadsa drugs and loadsa prostitues, but they stay in certain areas of the club and dont hassle you.

We had some great nights/mornings there in the fourth floor main club. Just walking into it is an experience, the music (kick of deep house/trance), darkness and atmosphere of the club is something I've never seen before. When the top floor is full it holds about 2000 I think. 99% of those are Indonesian but walking around as westerners, we constantly had people smiling at us, saying hello, and never any trouble. The only trouble we saw there in 8 nights was a small bit a pushing between two guys that was sorted out straight away by their girlfriends.

We had been to clubs all through Bangkok, Saigon, Phnom Penh, KL, Singapore but nothing in SE Asia came close to Stadium. Its the first club I've ever left at 9am that still had a packed dancefloor of 1000 people, and others still coming in, and opens 9pm friday to 9am monday."

cont'd

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/thread.jspa?threadID=1...

Maybe about 8 or 9 years ago, the Bule http://www.expat.or.id/info/dontcallmebule.html liked to go to the Stadium late Friday/Saturday night and do a lot of the drug Ecstasy.

The problem with that is that Indonesia has the death penalty for drug dealers and very long sentences in prison and/or re-education centers for drug users. It did not take long for the Jakarta police to start putting up road blocks around the stadium especially on weekends where they would stop all vehicles and using mobile drug testing labs would do Urine tests on people.

If your urine showed the presence of drugs off you went to jail. Of course the Indo police were not looking so much for Indonesian people. The were looking to throw Bule's in jail.

Indo started liking the mobile drug testing labs and they even brought them to Bali. Occasionally, they will bust some Australian on a drug test coming out of one of the clubs in Bali.

Amazingly, one Aussie that had a positive drug test claimed that they never did drugs in Bali but they had smoked a joint of marijuana two weeks ago in Australia. The poor sap sucker...think that would get him out of his problems???....I think that guy went straight to jail...do not pass Go....LOL!!!

Moral of the story is that if you are a drug user, it is best not to go to Indonesia unless you know your body is totally free of drugs that can be detected in tests because if you are ever randomly stopped and forced to take a drug test that turns out positive then you will be in big trouble.

Now, there are some of you now screaming, "Well, what about my rights!!!" I simply walk by and look at the dumb American/Aussie tourist thinking to myself, "You dummy, you are not in Kansas any more. You got to learn to walk the walk and not just talk the talk."

You can't talk yourself out of problems in places like Indo....you got to go in knowing what to do and what not to do. The places to go where you can have a good time safely and the places to avoid.

Contrary to popular belief, Indo has rules....they are just different than our rules.

STarrob
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement