No. of Recommendations: 8
"I've been making too much money and they increased my Medicare payments which have reduced my monthly SS checks. I wasted my whole life working and didn't start to make real money until I retired at 70 in July 2003 and started investing in the market. The market has paid all my expenses including Taxes and Gifts to family members as I have no pension or other means of income."

I retired 17, going on 18 years ago.....or is it 19? .......

Been living off the portfolio since then.

Hit age 70 and of course, there's the RMD - which is nice - never touched the IRA and it grew nicely the last 10 years.

Most of my other income is dividends - for the most part of investing cycle, wasn't that concerned with dividend yield. Just bought 'good stocks'(favored zero debt type monopoly in industry types) and most of them had a dividend yield. Many not. Some of the ones that didn't later started paying dividends.

Now, I do get whacked with higher Medicare premiums since the income is getting up there.

Not complaining. I'm a 'lucky' boomer that retired early (52.5), hit some nice stock market gains in the 1990s and the last 10 years, and in reasonable good health. Many others are not.

I've always been LBYM and now have to change a bit. Otherwise, my relatives, who seem to be doing just great themselves, will get to spend my $$$$$ instead of me.

However I just don't 'enjoy' blowing big bucks even now. I drive a compact car. Don't need fancy wheels. I travel and stay in Super 8 motels and similar. Don't need busboys and valet parking - nor want it.

Done enough 'international travel' and find it just a pain in butt with all the current hassles of travel, airlines, teeny seats, etc. Just not 'enjoyable'.

t.
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement