No. of Recommendations: 0
"If you convert your traditional IRA to a Roth IRA, then all previously untaxed money in the
traditional IRA will be taxed (but not penalized) as a result of that conversion. You may spread the
income reportable on that conversion equally over the next four years if you convert by 12/31/98.
That could reduce your tax burden this year if you elect to do so, but the remaining undeclared
income may increase your taxes over the succeeding three years because it still must be declared
and you will pay taxes based on the rates in effect in those years."

should I just leave that money alone? Leave it in, separate from the new Roth IRA that I'm starting? It's only about 5,000.
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.