Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
"I'm filing a 1040 joint return. In 1999, I had close to $1,000 in moving expenses due to my wife being offered and accepting a job out of state. Also, my wife and I incurred additional expenses such as: hotels, gas, food, etc., ($500) before we moved. The expenses were job related. We had to meet with her new employer several times and also find an apartment. Would these expenses ($1,500 total) be worth deducting? And if they are, would I still use Form 1040?"

It appears that your new job is more than 50 miles from your former home, so you've probably passed the distance test and you are moving to accept new employment, so that's the right reason to benefit from moving expenses on your return.

You can deduct expenses for lodging for one day after the old home is unusable, and for lodging for the day of arrival at the new location. You can deduct the traveling costs for you and your spouse to move from one location to the other including lodging, but not meals ( ya gotta eat anyway). You can deduct the actual cost of moving your personal effects and household goods. If you used your car, you can deduct the cost of gas, oil and repairs, or you can take a deduction based on 10 cents per mile. You can add parking and tolls, to either the standard or actual car costs.

You can't deduct the cost of meeting with the employer, or of hunting for the new apartment, or any temporary living expenses past the first night at your new location. The expenses before you moved, probably don't qualify as moving expenses. If you were reimbursed by your new employer for any of the expenses, don't try to claim them on your return.

Moving expenses are an adjustment to gross income on line 26 of the form 1040. Remember to fill out Form 3903 and attach it to your return.
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement