Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Philipo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 18154  
Subject: Re: 2013 Fusion Review Date: 9/29/2012 7:53 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
"I'm sure it's extremely complicated piece of technology, but all the automotive press agrees it is too dang complicated."

Maybe they need to hire some younger writers that at least had smartphones for a greater percentage of their careers or lives (if not computers). <shrug> Kids these days....they're just not afraid to poke at tech & figure it out in 5 minutes unlike boomers.

"We all know consumer reports will continue to ding them on it until oblivion."

CR's relevance is what need sto be reconsidered too in an internet age where voluntary peer reviews need not be paid for. Case in point:

Recently (as reported here too) without even looking at it, as a test, I found mytouch immediately usable with eyes on road & voice commands. 30 seconds of poking around on the UI back at the dealer showed me anything I didn't already figure out by making voice commands. Pretty dang nice - I wish I could say the same ease of use of my Galaxy Nexus (which is nice but not no brainer). While I'm a techie I'm still not as savvy as 20 & 30 somethings & my pop isn't a technophile (he's 72) so though he doen't get 100% of it's functionality it's still a huge enabling win with part sof the UI's he does understand & use for greater enjoyment & safety of his Ford....or ones we've tested (most, we test drive several Fords every season or two - covers both the older sync and later mytouch iterations respectively).

Lets review - here's what the article uthor actually said about the MyTouch (I'll emphasise the positives with bold just so we don't miss that it was still very positive):
"While I'm impressed by the execution, I still think this system makes simple tasks too labor-intensive. When I needed to program the nav, I didn't even bother with the screen -- I used SYNC's voice recognition (which, thankfully, is the best in the biz). I did like the touch-sensitive panel for the climate controls -- it uses a matte finish that doesn't show fingerprints like the glossy panel in other Fords -- but I still preferred the old-fashioned buttons in lower-trim Fusions."

Sorry Aaron (article author) inevitable fingerprints make a nice shiny screen muted and grimy too and hardware/tactile switches aren't making a comeback, and that last concession seems to be the biggest "yeah but" from those who haven't taken a little time to evaluate or accept the wonderful new & otherwise impossible capabilities they'd be investing in...such as voice commands that really work and keep your eyes on the road & hands upon the wheel (nod to Jim Morrison/Doors).
B
as an annecdotal p.s.- My Dad doen't like the nose of the 2013 - says's he's miss his razor grill - go figure, we thought the razor/cylon grill was fugly when it 1st came along ;-)
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

The Story Behind the Story
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement